Just got a hold of a Singer 29-4      (serial # L771630) and the balance wheel is busted (pictured) anyone know where I can find a replacement wheel for a good price? all I have seen is around $70-80 with shipping, wondering if other models will work for this machine hole diameter is 13mm approximately 1/2".   Overall wheel diameter is 9 1/4"

also wanted to hook it up to a small motor and foot pedal, anyone have any cheaper recomendations?

IMG_20210225_064749998_HDR.thumb.jpg.0e0fcc87361415786555d49ee3678a2e.jpg

IMG_20210225_064753853_HDR.thumb.jpg.986baadab22b9d39a7decab30e95928b.jpg

Edited by Campleathergoods

JB Weld may be your friend if you have the other half, defiantly worth a try

Thanks for the reply chrisashunfortunately I don't have the other piece.

my advice,  find a machine shop in your area,  take it to them and tell them you want the hole  welded filled  in, then a new hole drilled

they usually charge by the hour,  i do not see more than a hors work,  $45.00 is a fair price for what i see

and, YES, cast iron can be welded if you have the right tools and a trained welder

The supply and price of used 29-4 wheels on eBay varies - if you wait a bit one will come along for a better price. 

You can also have someone cut off the remainder of the broken area and braze or weld on a $2 collar.   Sometimes welding schools do repairs like this for free - the hard part is getting someone that can do the repair straight enough it won’t wobble.

8BD70DCD-18FB-44D3-8CA0-BA0D3C489197.jpeg

In UK but here is one 82159 HANDWHEEL – Sew Europe (sew-europe.co.uk) dont know if its the same size you would need to check the parts list or 82159 HAND WHEEL SINGER 29K-71 | College Sewing Machine Parts Ltd (college-sewing.co.uk)

Be careful with 29K71 parts! The 29K71 fly wheel does not fit on early 29 / 29K models without installing additional parts - it´s a totally different system. You need a sleeve and the all clutch parts for engaging / disengaging the fly wheel clutch - it will not work without these parts.

EDIT:
You need all these parts if you want to install a 29K71 FW to a 29-4 - if it works at all

grafik.png.a2b769367a33aa258f50e127ddd4428f.png

If it was my machine and I want to restore it on a budget I would install an adjustment ring / sleeve as DONINRENO suggested.

If you want to DIY the whole thing:

Grind down re remaining bushing until its flat, look for a shaft collar that fits the shaft and is wide enough,  drill 4 - 5 holes (approx 5mm diameter) into the shaft collar and around the bushing of the flywheel (holes have to line up), fill the holes with JB weld and hammer in some slightly oversized spring dowel pins. Let it dry, sand down the JB and finish it with black paint. Instead of dowel pins you can also tap some thread and bolt the shaft collar the fly wheel.

As I said - a  budget repair. ;)

Edited by Constabulary

Try looking for "Taperlock" bush and pulley. It's a very cheap way of replacing a handwheel and it will also slow down your machine and give it more torque. You order whatever size bush fits your shaft and whatever size pulley you want abd three set screws lock everything in place and it take less than an hour to fit. See mine here in a recent post with a 250mm pully..

I would go with Chris´s suggestion and JB weld it. I have done this on a SInger 45k leg that was missing and the break was similar to yours in the way it was where the screw passed through. I drilled 4 holes and inserted 3mm SS threaded rods in the mix then let it harden. The mix is quite thick and does not run in easily to the holes, then built a wall around, plugged the hole with a wax plug to preserve the thread that was left. After it was hard i then passed the tap through and it was done. I think your balance wheel should hold up afterwards.

DSC_0282.JPG.7c618b19776172e188b34998aaae12e2.thumb.jpg.73270c068c75d05ed99a077464406750.jpg

If you intend motorising it then why bother with the handwheel? It already has a pulley fitted.