AtlChris

Need Advice on a Juki

Hello I just got added on as a member today. Thanks in advance to all that have posted great information on here to make the learning curve a bit easier. 

I am a sound engineer in the film production world and have been designing products over the years and making a few prototypes here and there out of leather, nylon, and neoprene with plans to one day sell a few of them. I bought a Juki DNU-1541S new about 8 years ago, and have used it about 8 times. After jamming up the machine several times while trying to figure out how to use it, I finally got it to the point where it no longer worked due to the needle hitting the hook assembly. I wanted to have a technician come out and take a look, but it seems really hard to find one in Atlanta who is available, so I am looking to see if I can figure out how to fix this thing myself. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, which can be both good and bad. 

After watching a lot of Youtube videos and learning more about the machine and how to sew, I think I have found that my problem is the position or timing of the opener in relation to the hook assembly. As the hook assembly rotates, areas of the outside edge get wider and narrower. As the wider areas rotate past the opener, the opener stops it. I have attached 2 youtube videos I made to illustrate the problem.

I have the manual and the tools I need. If anyone has any insight into what I am doing wrong, I would love your advice. 

Thanks

2 hours ago, AtlChris said:

I have attached 2 youtube videos I made to illustrate the problem.

This video should solve your problem.

kgg

If you had a jam, make sure the safety clutch is reset. It may have been activated and could be causing your timing problem.

Thanks for the info. I have actually watched the video you mentioned a couple times. I have a problem getting the middle screw out of the 3-screw clip. Bent 3 screwdrivers so far. going to Ace to pick up a Klein. If the inner part is spinning free of the outer part of the hook assembly, I assume that means I don't have thread knotted up in there and was wondering if there is any reason for me to take that clip off?

1 hour ago, AtlChris said:

I have actually watched the video you mentioned a couple times.

In your first video at the 3 sec mark the position finger isn't seated in the slot of the basket as seen at the 11.43 mark in the video I linked to.

kgg

That tab has to be held in the notch so the inner portion of the hook doesn’t rotate.  Don’t just move the lever that has the notch until you make sure it wasn’t the hook that move a lot rearward.

Since your tab is so far away from the lever I can’t help but wonder what else has happened.

I’d put in a new needle and check the gap between hook point and needle.   The gap should be as small as possible without actually touching.   If this gap is ok, then move the lever with he notch back to where it holds the tab, but has enough clearance for thread to pass between the tap and notch.

edit:   Definitely take the other advice as well - safety clutch, follow the video, etc.   

C7959D37-C0FA-413A-A465-D0462237AD4A.jpeg

Edited by DonInReno

On 2/26/2021 at 3:15 AM, JJN said:

If you had a jam, make sure the safety clutch is reset. It may have been activated and could be causing your timing problem.

Thanks. I reset that but will recheck. I appreciate the input.

17 hours ago, DonInReno said:

That tab has to be held in the notch so the inner portion of the hook doesn’t rotate.  Don’t just move the lever that has the notch until you make sure it wasn’t the hook that move a lot rearward.

Since your tab is so far away from the lever I can’t help but wonder what else has happened.

I’d put in a new needle and check the gap between hook point and needle.   The gap should be as small as possible without actually touching.   If this gap is ok, then move the lever with he notch back to where it holds the tab, but has enough clearance for thread to pass between the tap and notch.

edit:   Definitely take the other advice as well - safety clutch, follow the video, etc.   

C7959D37-C0FA-413A-A465-D0462237AD4A.jpeg

Thanks. Definitely out of line. Needle is brushing up against the left side of the slot. It looks like my hook assembly needs to come left at least 1 -1.1mm. I havent made any adjustments but am narrowing down the problem. The engineer's manual illustrations do not make things very clear.