Telrasha

Using Antique Gel as a finish over dyes

Hi, 

I have recently started increasing my leatherworking and as such have been using different dyes and started really embossing leather.

Previously I would only have used Eco-Flo gel Antique on embossed leather as it sits nice in the grooves and darkens them. However, having watched several how to videos I am now experimenting with using normal dyes (currently have a Fiebings Waterstain that I am using) and then using a finish to darken the groves of the embossed bits. In the video I watched they used Fiebings Antique Stain finish but I cannot seem to get the black version of that anywhere online for a decent price (I am in Dublin, Ireland). So instead I got Eco-Flo gel antique black as from what I can tell they do the same thing.

Here comes my problem, I tried it out on a small piece of leather that I stamped a little, Dyed it green with the waterstain and then applied the gel after it dried and tried to wipe the excess off straight away but it didn't really come off and just left a black smear over the green. I applied it with a dense sponge and wiped it off with a kitchen towel wrapped around a sponge.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a difference between the two antiques and should I keep looking for the fiebings one?

Hopefully somebody can help as I really want to start using more colours but the whole idea of embossing is to get that nice dark vs light effect.

Cheers, 

Jelle 

You need to put a resist over the color dye. Something like eco-flo super shene or fiebings pro resist. The antique will still darken the color some but nothing like it does if you don’t put some sort of protective coat on. Video below gives a good demonstration on resisting.