Sign in to follow this  
tshupe

Bottom stitches balling up

New to sewing and if there is a thread on this already i apologize. I looked but didn't see one. I just bought a used Ferdco Pro 2000 and was going to run through a "get to know the machine piece". It is balling up the thread on the bottom and stopping the leather from advancing. I am sure, no hoping it is something simple like an adjustment. The sticker on the thread says Amann Group V1015-4000 Strongbond 10 1500M, The needle is a #180. Please help.

P2270129.JPG

P2270130.JPG

You need to hold the thread ends tightly for the first 2 or 3 stitches and then it will be ok

45 minutes ago, tshupe said:

The sticker on the thread says Amann Group V1015-4000 Strongbond 10 1500M, The needle is a #180.

If I am not mistaken the thread you are using is V270 (Tkt 10) T277 which requires a #25 US sized needle which would be a # 200 metric. The larger needle gives you extra thread head space so it doesn't catch. For tough material you may have to go up to a #26 needle (#220). Also check your top thread path from the spool to the eye of the needle and top tension.

kgg

Thank you both for your advice I was using the thread and needle that was on the machine. There was some 25's in the drawer so I switched the needles out and held the thread tight for a few stitches. It is no longer balling up but the top thread has large loops on the bottom of the leather and the bottom thread is nonexistent through some stitches.  Watched a youtube for threading the machine so that is correct. So I will play with the tension.

Thanks again

Troy