Sign in to follow this  
SmilinJim

I decided to try some braiding

Hi folks,

A while back I decided to try some braiding, not easy for an old dog to learn new tricks. After reading awhile I made a lace cutter like some shown in the 'books' ,thats pic 1, it actually works but there had to be something better.

Asking questions on the board brought a response from Ken(Beaverslayer) and I learned to crank up the tandy lacemaker. A whole lot better, that's pic 2.

But I can't leave well enough alone. Had trouble finding thin leather close to home, about 2 hours to tandy. I decided to strip veg tanned, all I had was some 5-6 oz stuff and it didn't fit the tandy well at all. So what the ... let's make one. So I went down to the shop and came up with this. It's not pretty but it works too. pic 3. You just can't start with a 2" hole, has to be bigger. But it works with a variety of different blades that I can get locally and cheaper. Also I can make several handles and cut the notches to whatever size I want. Put a little varnish on it to seal the edges.

But again 6 oz veg tan cut thin doesn't braid very small either. So how about a small splitter to downsize the strings. That's pic 4. It too will handle a selection of blades and you can control the thickness of the string with a small screw so the thickness stays constant. I've thinned 3/16" to 1/2" width strings with it with no problems. With a sharp blade you can cut extremely thin.

I did a 4 strand round braid from veg tanned for a necklace for my wife. Finished thickness is just a little over 1/8" in diameter. That's pic 5.

Now for a question. I cut some 3/8 strings and thinned to about 1/32". I then took the split(suede?) that was left and braided it as a 4 strand round braid and used that as a core. Then used the thinned strips and braided over that. That's pic 5.

Give me comments on that as the use for a core. Not real flexible but will work as a case handle.

Any comments are welcome.

Keep on Smilin

Jim

IM002638.JPG

IM002637.JPG

IM002639.JPG

IM002640.JPG

IM002641.JPG

IM002642.JPG

post-41-1191716281_thumb.jpg

post-41-1191716289_thumb.jpg

post-41-1191716297_thumb.jpg

post-41-1191716315_thumb.jpg

post-41-1191716322_thumb.jpg

post-41-1191716332_thumb.jpg

Jim,

As they say, "Necesity is the mother of invention" Great job on the cutter and splitter. And nice looking braid as well.

Ken

:Lighten: I think you could sell some of those little strippers{leather}.

very inventive, it seems alot of work to get some lacing, but i know some people like to do everythink from scratch. Here in Australia i pay about 60cents a metre for top quality lacing which is made from kangaroo hide. I find kangaroo lacing far superior to any other type.

I dont know if anyone in the USA uses it.

Love your finished products with the lacing you made.

Leatheroo,

Yes we here in the Canada and the USA use roo lace. What I do tho, is buy a roo hide and cut my own lace. This way I pay about 23 cents a meter.

Ken

Hey Jim!

I REALLY like that splitter! in picture 4.

I've been trying for a while to cobble one together using disposable utility blades by making the blade adjustable. Without much success. But if I'm looking at and reading you right, the block in front of the cutting edge of the blade moves up and down with that screw in the center? The bolt at the rear acts as the pivot for the adjustable block?

Oh man did I ever have it all ass backwards!

Back to the barn for 40 lashes! And try again.

Hey Mike

I think that's incarnation 4 or 5, I started the same way. I've got another version that uses a dowel for the pivot point for the lace. works the same way. Don't know if either is better or worse. Put a notch along one side of the block so you can feed the lace into the blade as you slide toward center.

You can use a lot of different blade, utility blades from walmart and the blades in the pics are from a beauty supply store. Cheaper, wider and are reinforced at the back

Keep on Smilin

Jim

IM002643.JPG

post-41-1191794193_thumb.jpg

Edited by SmilinJim

Thanks for the additional pic Jim.

Those blades would be for the straight razors that take replaceable blades. I've got a source or two[local beauty operators]for those blades and several online marketers of blades bookmarked.

Plus I've got a dozen or more of the old straight razors around. Some had blades with bad nicks I've rehoned and could use, but that would be overkill as they are not really long enough to split leather for anything larger than cigar holders, medium size knives, maybe it would be useful after all to make one that size.

Got a bone folder,creaser,burnisher, string beveler getting close to fitting the handle slabs on this evening. Cut from the same piece of bone and horn as the lacing fid. I think I'm on two a theme with these things.

Thanks again for the pic and additional information.

Mike

I do quite a bit of lace and love the roo hide which I buy in from Austrailia, it has such a nice "hand" to it and the tensile strength is the best. I like the little trigger type lace maker from Australia also, it's slick. When I need to split some lace for a special project I use a block plane as my favorite splitter. I like the ones with the adjustable throat and if you keep the plane iron nice and sharp they work great for small stuff.

hi smilinJim

Got my rawhide yesterday and i guess i need splitter now. I`m planning to make one. Do you have some more detailed pics of yours, to get better ideas of it?

brgd

Crow

You certainly could sell some of those splitters, I know I would be interested in one.

Cora

I'll second (or third, whatever we are on now) Cora's comment.

I made up a jig to split my lace down and make it thinner. It's much simpler than what you've done... but I bet yours works better. Mine is just two thin pieces of metal fastened down to a hardwood block, with the metal pieces the the width of the lace apart. I lay the lace down in the groove, flesh side up, and lay my hand skiving tool (I think it's called a "Super Skiver") on top of the metal, and then just pull the lace through. It works pretty good except that I have to both hold the skiving tool, pull the lace AND make sure the lace does not pull up and cut itself in half. :wacko: I don't have enough hands!

I'd love to see better pics of your invention. As Cora said, you could easily sell either the plan or the gadget, whatever. I'd gladly pay money for a deal like that.

Hey folks, if you want one okay. Just a few dollars to cover cost of wood and shipping. I'll cut a couple out and get back with you on costs if okay. I like the one with a dowel for the pivot point seems to work better. They're not fancy or even finely finished but seem to work okay, may want to do a bit more sanding. I've juist split some lace to make necklaces for Christmas. Wife does the dangles and I do the braided necklace.

Crow, I'll post some more pics in the next day or so. Wife going in hospital and I won't have much home time for a couple of days.

Keep on Smilin

Jim

Here in Australia i pay about 60cents a metre for top quality lacing which is made from kangaroo hide. I find kangaroo lacing far superior to any other type.

I dont know if anyone in the USA uses it.

well it's a lot easier for you to get to the kangaroos :NEWFUNNYPOST:

Hey folks, if you want one okay. Just a few dollars to cover cost of wood and shipping. I'll cut a couple out and get back with you on costs if okay. I like the one with a dowel for the pivot point seems to work better. They're not fancy or even finely finished but seem to work okay, may want to do a bit more sanding. I've juist split some lace to make necklaces for Christmas. Wife does the dangles and I do the braided necklace.

Crow, I'll post some more pics in the next day or so. Wife going in hospital and I won't have much home time for a couple of days.

Keep on Smilin

Jim

Thanks Jim,

I`m looking forward to see

Ps if there`s any pics of splitters disassembled...

Crow

Hey Crow, here's some more pics, hope they help. Nothing really critical on dimensions. Just make width for the blade you intend to use. I use a razor blade from a beauty supply store and regular utility knife blades. Strop them before you use them.

Hey folks,

I'll definitely sell some, got several requests. Just don't know what to charge yet. Give me some hints. I thought $12-$15 dollars plus shipping for both the lacemaker and the splitter. Give me some feedback.

Keep on Smilin

Jim

PC122377.JPG

PC122368.JPG

post-41-1197729546_thumb.jpg

post-41-1197729568_thumb.jpg

You can put me in for an order of both the splitter, and the lace cutter. Very creative Jim, & I love homemade tools. I'm just not good at it myself. I'm sure you're gonna get a lot of replies on this.

Steve

hi Jim,

thanks for additional pics.

I`m planning to make light changes in your design. I replace the wooden piece, where the lace slips on with 1" steel roll. I just think it might work better for me. i´ll keep you informes how it worked out.

crow

You can definately put me down for both!

Cora

Hey Crow

I sorta did the same. I used a 3/8" wooden dowel for the one I took pics of and have since replaced with a 3/8" aluminum rod, less drag on the lace. I just glued it in and it was easy to work with. Also I cut a notch in the wooden dowel and filed a notch in the aluminum so I would have a way to start the lace into the blade. Not sure if that shows on the pics. I've wanted up upsize it to do wider straps, say up to 1 1/2" but I want to keep it easy to find blades.

One of the Stolman books on leather tools has a pic of a large leather splitter that I think I could build to do 4" to 6". If I do I'll post some pics.

Hey Cora and Steve,

PM me with your address and I'll send to you when I get some done. With work and holidays it will probably be Christmas week when I get to cut some. I'm off that week.

Keep on Smilin

What do you use to bevel the edges or do you bevel them? You can tell I've done very little lacing. Just few basic things like connecting the saddle skirts together. I want to learn more once I have the time.

I appreciate any help.

Art