Jadu

Singer class 7-33 leather sewing, which needle ???

Hi,

I was able to buy a Singer class 7-33 recently, ex army. The machine is a beast. Despite its age of 70, in very good condition. I'm proud of it!

This machine comes with a bag of needles, marked 'SINGER 26gy'. I think this needle is for Webbing, canvas ... The needle is 76.7mm long.

Does anyone know what needle type I can use for leather ???
Is any needle bar adjustment necessary for sewing leather on this machine?

Thanks in advance for all the tips !!!

Singer7-33_01.jpg

Edited by Jadu
attached image

1 hour ago, Matt S said:

Class 7 needles -- 7x1 for fabric and 7x2 for leather!

Hi Matt,
Thanks for your comment!
Can you confirm that the length of the 7x2 is 76.7mm?

Edited by Jadu
typo

Here’s a topic that goes into detail about needles for the Singer 7-33:

794 / 7x1 / 7x3 are approx 69mm long in total

No idea what needle you have there. Is the machine functional with the needles you have? Can you post pictures of the needle and if you have the needle package.

But you should be able to lower the needle bar to accommodate 794 / 7x1 / 7x3 needles.

That 76mm long needle might be a System 1000H needle, which is 73mm long butt to eye. Either that, or some ancient needle system that’s long out of production.

The 794 Needle system is very common, readily available, and has many more variations available, especially for leather. 

2F5013F3-4E0B-4AB5-ACE1-62357A48B7CC.jpeg

I took a picture of the different needles from my collection.
The question is whether I can adapt the Singer 7-33 so that 794 / 7x1 / 7x3 is usable. The difference in length between the 794 and the SINGER 26gy is, as you can see, quite large.
Can that work? Do you have experience with this?

Great that you think along!

20210301_231839.thumb.jpg.1a7782e4f40a318612f60614572cc102.jpg

You can raise or lower the needle bar so that the EYE of the 794 needle (or system 7x1, 7x3, etc.) is at the exact same height as it was with the Singer 26gy needle. You can loosen the two screws the red arrows point at in the picture below and then slide the needle bar to the correct height. 

One way to accomplish this: 

1. Turn hand wheel to bring needle bar to highest position. 

2. Measure distance from throat plate to top of EYE of the needle

3. Insert 794 needle

4. Loosen needle bar clamping screws

5. Adjust needle bar height so that EYE of the 794 needle is same distance above throat plate.

6; .Tighten clamp screws again. 

9EBD4336-7B3C-43F5-93A6-4CD4053FBE44.jpeg

I sold a Singer 7-31 a few years ago. My for-sale post still has some useful info regarding parts manual and difference between the 7-31 and 7-33 models.

Edited by Uwe

Hi Uwe,
Thank you very much for the clear description!
This week I will get a new floor, Saturday I will install my machine. I'll try the 794 needle right away. I will let you know the result, but I am already convinced that this should work.

Hey,
I installed the machine and adjusted the needle bar height for needle 794 according to Uwe's instructions. It sews fine right away!
An additional problem is that the needlebar hits the presser foot when the presser foot is raised. So that must also be adjusted otherwise sooner or later that will go wrong by mistake. I'm going to find out if that is possible.

The bottom 2 threads of serafil 10/3, needle 794 / size 200 through 5mm thick leather. Sewn on my Singer class 7.

The top thread is sewn on my Pfaff 24-1 from year 1907.

Thanks Uwe for your explanation!

sew.jpg

Edited by Jadu
typo

4 minutes ago, Jadu said:

An additional problem is that the needlebar hits the presser foot when the presser foot is raised

that's most likely why the former owner has used a longer needle ;) You can either try to lower the presser foot or use a longer needle to prevent this.

Wow.  That was great to read.  You all are very knowledgeable.  

To avoid problems I made a modified Lifting Presser Bar for the use of shorter needles.
Now I can quickly change needles with only 1 adjustment, the needlebar.
Without the extra Lifting Presser Bar you will ever make the mistake of sewing without lifting the presser foot. Major damage will then follow.

Thanks for your help!!!

LiftingPresserBar.jpg