Landcruzer94

Cb3200 stitching issues - tension related?

I have an issue with my machine that's puzzling me and maybe it's a simple solution.  

This past weekend I followed Uwe's YouTube guide on hook timing for my cb3200 and completed it to what I feel is a very good standard.  what I noticed in the initial assessment was the needle was dropping almost 3/8in lower than necessary and the shuttle hook was also way advanced.  The only step I wasn't able to follow was the shuttles hook position at 30* and where the tip should be in relation to the needle, I don't have the same adjustment method as noted on the 4500.  It looked so close I didn't bother it.

Everything looks great and sewed wonderfully with the thread I had loaded at the beginning:  207 top/bottom with a 25 needle.  
I then decided to load 138 thread along with a matching needle. I have never used 138 on this machine, so at first I didn't touch the thread tension.  First few stitches went okay, but then the hook started missing the top thread consistently.  I looked closer and it seems that a loop wasn't forming on the needle upstroke.  Anyways, figured it had something to do with tension and tried to dial it down and never quite got it right.  Back to 207, but I put in a size 23 needle because I realized the 25 might be a little big...

Here's where things got weird now with the 207... the thread itself is now twisting as its going down the needle, making a loop on the upstroke that has an overlapping twist and causing a bunch of drama as it goes around the shuttle.  At this point I need to go back to square one, so I loosened the lower bobbin tension a slight amount and went to full loose on both tension springs up top.  At that setting I'm now getting frays on the top thread near the needle.

I dont believe  it's the timing adjustment that caused it because of how well it was sewing before I messed with the thread, but I can't seem to get back to what it was doing before. Any thoughts?

I ended up fixing the issue and it was related to the needle size.  I was under the impression that 23 was an okay size to use for 207 thread?  I'll try another needle to check but my problems disappeared when I went to a 25.