wildbill56

Western Spur Straps

I'm a new comer to this forum and somewhat to leather crafting.  I am currently in the process of making my grandaughter a pair of western spur straps and need some help/advise.  I need help on how to install a 3/4" buckle on the spur strap and also how is the loop for the strap to go through made. I would appreciate any help y'all can give me.  Thanks

I just saw this post.  Did you get the help you needed? I'll just bump you post to the top again.  What style are you looking to make?  I know Dwight posted a buckaroo  pattern on here a while back.  

Given nobody else has posted, the issues are related to shoemaking, and for that, Sveta Kletina on Youtube's my goto. These are just advanced straps, much like miniature belts, where the width is set by the slots in the spur, normally half-inch. Men's might be 20", women's a little less, 18" long.

Feet blister fairly easily when pressure is upon them, and spurs, even over boots, are worn for long periods. Although commercial straps don't do it, I'd skive the entire buckle end of the strap to half thickness from the point the end meets the main strap when folded, and glue and rivet the restore the strength.

7 hours ago, wildbill56 said:

Thanks for all the help.

My pleasure. It goes without saying I'm suggesting you look at the excellent belt-making tutorials. The rivet work will in any case be covered by the tip of the straps.

I notice your buckle is rather wider than the strap needs to be to go through the spurs. That imposes issues on the tip, so I'd suggest two more appropriately-sized buckles (unless, that is, the slots are also 3/4"!)