Hi Ya'll!

I'm a newby in terms of leather repair and would really appreciate the advice of the experts here on this forum, so please go easy on me as I try to learn :rolleyes2:

I was given a second hand Black Aniline Leather Lounge Chair as a gift. Unfortunately, we have some devious furry friends in the house. The dog didn't pay much attention but our cat had her way with the leather. I've included some photos in case that's of any help.

I've scoured the DIY guides online and am suspect of some of the advice given by various webpages. Not sure if the recommendations were influenced by paid sponsors/reviewers, etc.

So, I defer to the experienced leather workers on this forum for how to repair these cat scratches to this aniline leather :)

From my research there appears to be many professional products & DIY home products.

Store Bought:
Furniture Clinic Leather Recoloring Balm - However, a lot of negative reviews of it coming off after a short period
Furniture Leather Max MEGA Kit - Also, a lot of negative reviews stating it doesn't last
Chamberlain’s Furniture Treatment No.5 Conditioner and Cleaner - No indication it repairs scratches

DIY:
Olive Oil - Mixed opinions on scratch repair
Coconut Oil - Mixed opinions on scratch repair
Shea Butter - Mixed opinions on scratch repair

What do you guys believe is the best process/product to repair these scratches in the aniline leather as a long-term solution? Or how should I continuously treat the leather in order for it to heal in the long term? 

Many thanks to everyone :notworthy:
Roger

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-18 at 18.22.31 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-18 at 18.22.32 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-18 at 18.22.33.jpeg

Realistically all you can probably do is to sand it down and apply upholstery paint to the whole chair, and you will most likely always be able to see some of the deep scratches, trouble is once the cat uses it as a scratching pad it always will unless you shoot it

5 minutes ago, chrisash said:

Realistically all you can probably do is to sand it down and apply upholstery paint to the whole chair, and you will most likely always be able to see some of the deep scratches, trouble is once the cat uses it as a scratching pad it always will unless you shoot it

Haha, thanks Chris! Shooting the cat is out of the question for us. Aside from this leather incident, she's normally well behaved :lol: We've corrected her since the incident and she hasn't gone near the chair.

Aside from sanding it down and applying upholstery paint to the whole chair, do you have any thoughts on the Retail/DIY products that I listed above? Have you had any experience healing scratches? Apparently from what I've read, the leather can slowly heal through conditioning over time?

12 minutes ago, chrisash said:

Thanks Chris, in my first post I had mentioned the Furniture Clinic Leather Kit. However, there a lot of reviews stating that the Furniture Clinic's balm is a temporary repair and would rub off if exposed to moisture.

I'm really interested in a more long term sustainable solution. Hopefully someone on this board may give some recommendations that don't focus on trimming or sanding down scratched leather.

BUMP-A-ROO

Anyone experienced leather workers who can shed some light on this? Thank you :)

4624548.jpg