Smithi

Help please: JUKI 1541 OR JUKI LU 2810

Hey guys. I really need some advice from you experts. I am looking into purchasing a new machine, but i'm stuck between the Juki 1541 or the Juki lu 2810. I am going to be working on mainly car upholstery.
I originally had a Brother ls2 b837 which was awesome, but I had to sell due to relocation abroad.

Before anyone suggests another brand other than Juki, I am quite limited with options where I live, so I narrowed it down to these two.

I can get either a brand new Juki 1541, or a used but and good condition Juki lu 2810 (without the fancy extras).

Both are similarly priced, with the 1541 being slightly more expensive due to taxes and delivery.
Also I understand that the 2810 is manufactured in China which is a slight put off for me, as well as it being more difficult to find parts and accessories such as suitable welt feet etc for the 2810 over the 1541. However I love the technical specs of the 2810.

The 1541 is made in Japan and with parts and accessories more easily available and more cheaper. I this this will be more familiar for me as I used the Brother b837 in the past.

I would be grateful if you lovely people could give me some advice and experiences with these machines if possible.

Many thanks. :slight_smile:

Edited by Smithi

I doubt that Juki will have any less quality control in china than in Japan, they did not get their name by skimping on quality

1 hour ago, Smithi said:

I can get either a brand new Juki 1541, or a used but and good condition Juki lu 2810 (without the fancy extras).

Either machine should do the job but the 2810 is a much heavier duty and larger machine then either the 1541 or even the 1508. If you go with the 1541 make sure it is a 1541"S" having the safety mechanism.

1 hour ago, Smithi said:

Also I understand that the 2810 is manufactured in China which is a slight put off for me

My experience is that there is a difference in the Juki's made in China and those made in Japan. I do have a China made 1181n and compared to the fit/finish/operation of my 1541S there is a difference.

kgg

57 minutes ago, chrisash said:

I doubt that Juki will have any less quality control in china than in Japan, they did not get their name by skimping on quality

Thanks for the reply.

As far as I understand, Juki made there name well before they were built in China. I'm not slating the Chinese made Juki's, but I just haven't used or compared the differences in built quality. This will be a machine that will be used for hours a day, and therefore reliability is of most importance.

7 minutes ago, kgg said:

Either machine should do the job but the 2810 is a much heavier duty and larger machine then either the 1541 or even the 1508. If you go with the 1541 make sure it is a 1541"S" having the safety mechanism.

My experience is that there is a difference in the Juki's made in China and those made in Japan. I do have a China made 1181n and compared to the fit/finish/operation of my 1541S there is a difference.

kgg

Thanks for the information. It's very helpful to know that you have compared machines from both areas. For me it's quite disappointing that such standards might have dropped because of this.

the 2810 may be made in China but it is a copy of the Adler 867 and that is the top machine period.  Anything close to that is going to be good.

glenn

54 minutes ago, Smithi said:

This will be a machine that will be used for hours a day, and therefore reliability is of most importance.

For the number of hours of use per day you are planning on using the machine I would probably go for the 2810 over the 1541.

kgg

2 hours ago, kgg said:

For the number of hours of use per day you are planning on using the machine I would probably go for the 2810 over the 1541.

kgg

Hi, do you say that because of technical reasons or because of better reliability?

8 hours ago, Smithi said:

Hi, do you say that because of technical reasons or because of better reliability?

My reasoning is that in comparison the 1541 is an excellent commercial grade machine weighing in at 80 lbs (head weight), the 1508 is an excellent industrial grade machine weighting in at just over 98 lbs (head weight) and 2810 is an excellent professional grade machine weighing in at just over 123 lbs (head weight). My experience is the heavier the machine head, in a class, the longer it will last.

My suggestion is based on the 2810 being properly maintained and properly rebuilt. If you can't go and physically check the machine out ask for very detailed photo's of not only the exterior but the thread guides, hook assembly,  top and bottom of machine showing shafts and timing.

Best of luck,

kgg

12 hours ago, kgg said:

My reasoning is that in comparison the 1541 is an excellent commercial grade machine weighing in at 80 lbs (head weight), the 1508 is an excellent industrial grade machine weighting in at just over 98 lbs (head weight) and 2810 is an excellent professional grade machine weighing in at just over 123 lbs (head weight). My experience is the heavier the machine head, in a class, the longer it will last.

My suggestion is based on the 2810 being properly maintained and properly rebuilt. If you can't go and physically check the machine out ask for very detailed photo's of not only the exterior but the thread guides, hook assembly,  top and bottom of machine showing shafts and timing.

Best of luck,

kgg

Thanks for the helpful information.

I luv my 1541. Had an Lu562 before and the 1541 blows it away. I put a servo and speed reducer and can’t say enough about this machine.

I have had bad experiences with anything made in china, ask anyone outside of china about the quality items that come from china, there will be a few positive remarks! just about everything i have had that was made in china was poorly made! My advice is to shy away from things made in China - even the spies