TensawLeather

Cobra Class 4 with EPS

I am about to pull the trigger on a new Cobra Class 4. This will be my first machine. I have a lot to learn of course.

I am generally a tinker so I’m not worried much about maintenance, tensions, different feet and plates, and learning the ends and outs of the machine.

My question is this, should I go for the EPS system or not? I am concerned that the EPS might be too much to take on since this is my first machine. Seems like I would have more control manually versus having to learn the extra pedal control to operate the EPS. Am I missing something? Does the EPS make things easier for a first timer? Is it really needed at all?

I will be using it to sew belts, holsters, and sheaths.

Thanks for any input and guidance. Jeff

I like it but more experienced users seem happy to stay as they were, nice to have it needle up or down and do single stitch at a whim in my thoughts so worth a little bit extra

Nobody I know uses an EPS on a Cobra Class 4, or Cowboy CB4500. They already have 9:1 speed reduction and are easy to control unless you have RLS.

I’ve never used it so I don’t have personal experience but in nearly a decade of using my Class 4, I’ve only run into a couple occasions where I thought the EPS would make my life easier...

Thanks guys for the opinions. I think I’ll just save that extra cash!

I've learnt a lot about  how  my machine runs  now that I can just ' feather' it, and also it  runs smooth enough that I just turn  the fly wheel by hand  if I need to .   Never had the need for an EPS  or a servo . 

HS 

I think that's the point, if you are a experienced sewer then you have built into your skills to get around most things, be it needle positioning or even just using the knee lifter automatically without pressing the foot pedal at the same time accidentally, where as learners may well find it useful to know. when you stop sewing the needle is either up or down whatever you chose also a new user may have a problem doing single stitches to get say to a turning point, again no problem for a expert but useful for someone new to using industrial or domestic machines