Sign in to follow this  
tieguy77

Tandy "Deluxe" Rotary Punch adjustment?

Hello Everyone, 

New to the world of leather and extremely frustrated/disappointed with my Tandy punch.  The cutters do not fall squarely on the anvil...it's almost off the edge.  Is there any way to adjust it so the cutting tube falls in the correct spot?  I feel stupid for asking such a basic question but I am wondering if it's just a defect.

Thank you,

Bobby

3240-00-DELUXE-ROTARY-PUNCH-SILO-2_1346x1346.jpg

You simply should buy a better quality punch and correct the problem cause Tandy punch is a basic tool only

The cheap punch you have illustrated there is not worth the money, whether sold at Tandy or elsewhere. The formed sheet metal bends under pressure, and you get the alignment problems. 
Buy the solid metal punch instead; for example, Tandy Leather Craftool Pro Rotary Leather Punch 3230-00. (Or something similar from another manufacturer.)
It costs more, but it will last a LOT longer and should be nearly trouble free. Don't forget that if the individual punch tubes fail (break or bend), Tandy will replace them for free.

I started with a similar Tandy punch in the mid-sixties.  Learned right off to punch through, fairly gentle, but through, then rotate the punch and leather to loosen the cut piece out. Worked well for years of hobbiest work until I got a few solid handled punches from the old saddle man at Duhamel's in Rapid City.  Still have them all.  Yes, there was a difference, but the old fellow was still twisting with his solid handled tools.

God bless

I'm the odd one out. I use one of those punches, have done for about 5 years now, with no problems. In fact I reckon they're one of the best I've ever had. Previous ones by other makers broke after a short time, even very expensive ones.

1 hour ago, fredk said:

I'm the odd one out. I use one of those punches, have done for about 5 years now, with no problems. In fact I reckon they're one of the best I've ever had. Previous ones by other makers broke after a short time, even very expensive ones.

Well, you probably got yours in an alternate universe or something! ;-)