Johanna

Free Sample of "Dyes-True" Leather

Free Sample from Orion Calf

Have you asked for your sample yet? This is an interesting leather because it's said to accept dye better than traditionally tanned leather. I'm curious to know what you folks think of it.

Ordered my sample, thanks for the heads up. I'll try a few different dyes/brands on it and report back.

Wow, even shipping is free on this one! My order is in as well, looking forward to checking it out. Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks Johanna, I appreciate the heads up. Ordered mine this morning.  I do hope that they aren't tiny squares.  I'm really want in seeing how it takes different dyes and colors.

Has anyone tried their line of dyes?  If so, thoughts?

I started an order, but they wanted more for shipping than my order. I don't think so.

Tsunkasapa, give them a call.  In their FAQ's they say that their automated shipping charges generated by the software can be excessive and they suggest you call and talk to a person.

Ok, I tried to be as comprehensive as I could be with the area I was working with. The top and bottom was treated with NFO after the dye was applied. The top halves of each dye column got a second coat except for the antiques, those only got one. I tried to label everything but if you can't read them, let me know. My overall impression is that this leather takes dye very well. It has a great smell and has a relatively soft hand to it. These aren't really dry so once it does I'll try to get another picture up so we can all see it. Look at that yellow!

I didn't have access to my bench so I was working off the table in my shed but it didn't seem to take stamping as good as I'd hoped but for an untooled piece this leather may be worth considering. I think once I get my workshop back I'm going to grab some for some totes and wallets, it is pretty nice.

Any questions, holler.

IMG_Mar142021at12934PM.jpg.jpeg

IMG_Mar142021at13043PM.jpg.jpeg

IMG_Mar142021at13007PM.jpg.jpeg

IMG_Mar142021at13110PM.jpg.jpeg

Sorry. I reckon I should've added that when I posted the pics.

*secret decoder ring mode activated*

The first two are Angelus, denoted with the "A", Blue Jean and Honey. The third is Eco-Flo Green Waterstain. The next batch of columns is Fiebings ProDye in the colors (if you can read my writing) listed. The next set of columns are Fiebings spirit dyes in the colors mentioned except the Mahogany which was dried when I opened it, so I used blue Eco-Flo Waterstain. Then Eco-Flo Saddle Tan Gel Antique, then Fiebings Dark Brown paste antique followed lastly by Fiebings Sheridan Brown paste antique, which for some reason didn't post completely in the pictures but look full on my phone.

I applied all with a Q-tip. Perhaps the Angelus dyes would look better with multiple coats from a dauber, but honestly, I've never had Angelus work for me as well as Fiebings does.

The top halves (two coats) of the Fiebings Pro look really good and consistent, even before drying fully.

Edited by battlemunky

I wish I had a second piece, I'd love to airbrush some too.

On 3/11/2021 at 6:46 AM, Aven said:

Tsunkasapa, give them a call.  In their FAQ's they say that their automated shipping charges generated by the software can be excessive and they suggest you call and talk to a person.

No, not that interested.

I hate the fact that they use MM instead of oz for their leather thickness. I'm so use to Oz that going and converting mm to oz is a pain.:unsure:http://www.cromwellgroup.com/leather-thickness.html

Edited by Bert03241

5 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

I hate the fact that they use MM instead of oz for their leather thickness.

I prefer Oz. myself, and can't always convert on the fly. Here is another version of the leather conversion chart.

Leather Weight Conversion Chart.jpg

I think we 'Muricans need to get on board with the rest of the world and embrace the metric system...soooo much easier.

21 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

I think we 'Muricans need to get on board with the rest of the world and embrace the metric system...soooo much easier.

I've felt that way since grade school, and the need became more apparent when I got into pattern making. But now, in my reclining years and with a lifetime behind me, I can see how problematic that can be for others, like builders when replacing a door or window in our 50 year old house. 

1 hour ago, LatigoAmigo said:

I've felt that way since grade school, and the need became more apparent when I got into pattern making. But now, in my reclining years and with a lifetime behind me, I can see how problematic that can be for others, like builders when replacing a door or window in our 50 year old house. 

Totally, yes. But if we all got on board, it'd all phase out eventually. I'm getting close to not needing to care (retirement is 16 years away) but I'd still take on the extra burden. The fact is that there are so many people that think it is hard to do when fractions (not tenths, like metric) are wayyyy harder. 

While we're at it, lets stop springing forward and falling back. *yells at cloud*

Latigo,

Patterns, as in foundry work? 

1 hour ago, MikeRock said:

Patterns, as in foundry work? 

No, as in leather work. I learned to appreciate the metric system when I was in my early 20's and dabbling in leather. Because metric measurement is easier to increment there was less chance of error. I got away from leather and eventually got into computer graphics, so now I generate all of my leather patterns using Adobe Illustrator for use in a C02 laser cutter that is formatted in millimeters.

10 hours ago, battlemunky said:

Totally, yes. But if we all got on board, it'd all phase out eventually. I'm getting close to not needing to care (retirement is 16 years away) but I'd still take on the extra burden. The fact is that there are so many people that think it is hard to do when fractions (not tenths, like metric) are wayyyy harder. 

While we're at it, lets stop springing forward and falling back. *yells at cloud*

:16: This. All of this.

19 hours ago, battlemunky said:

Only the Govt. would believe that cutting a foot off the bottom of a blanket, and sewing it on the top, would make the blanket longer.