1st wallet. The Don Gonzales pattern pack was my guide. Destined for the trash bin due to a bad jab with the stitching awl, dang it.  I'll use it till then. Maybe the next one will make it past inspection.

20210310_143539.jpg

20210310_143519.jpg

i don't really care for tooled leather but this looks very good. stitching is nice and straight and i like the color..

Great job...and i cant even tell where you stabbed it with your awl.

20 minutes ago, Woodshed said:

Destined for the trash bin

Yeah, I can identify! I just finished (5) guitar straps...one of them sucks- that one will be mine. Same for a small biker wallet last week....my 'brother by another mother' gets the "good" one. Identical, with the wonky stitch line is mine.....I don't pitch the not quite right stuff...I keep it, use it or hang it on the wall, or throw it in a drawer. Reminds me to slow down,  think things through. 

Yours looks great. Most people don't "see" the mistakes we know we made!

1 hour ago, CastleLeatherWorks said:

Great job...and i cant even tell where you stabbed it with your awl.

Thanks. I re-inspected and I think my initial "yuck" was based on an illusion due to the stitch meeting the edge of the pocket. I didn't show the inside of the wallet yet but here is what got me... on the left hand bottom of the pocket the awl was like right on the edge of the pocket and something looks wrong in the way the stitch does or does not pick up the pocket in that area. Whatever it is, its not a bad angle on the awl. It just looked like it to me.

56 minutes ago, eglideride said:

.I keep it, use it or hang it on the wall,

Yep! I sometimes wonder if there will come a project where I don't make a mistake! One little slip and ...

20210310_143600.jpg

lol you can always tell a leather worker they have crappy wallets. Mine has a big dye stain right in the middle of it. Your tooling is great and the stitches arent really to bad imo.

34 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

Mine has a big dye stain right in the middle of it.

Hah! We all have some dye stories I'm sure! I got a little speck of black dye on the outside of my little finger one time where I couldn't see it and then used it to steady my hand as I painted a nearby area. Fail!

I don't think its bad at all, if anything it may be a bit shiny. The flaws aren't all that bad looking at the junk bin I've collected over the years.

2 hours ago, battlemunky said:

it may be a bit shiny.

Seems like whenever I shrink picture size on my phone the colors and shine change enough to be a bit disappointing. It's not bad in the shine department, and that will lessen with use I would guess.

This project has grown into a number of gifts for sons and family we will visit soon when we head out west.

20200914_012715-Edit.jpeg

I've kept my projects no matter how crappy.  (yea, the box is getting full... :) )   I just have to remember to put the month/year on it so I can go back and reflect on my progress.

LOL, I still have my first coaster from the Tandy project kit.  It makes me cringe but reminds me how much I've improved so I won't get so hard on my self when I do flub up.  

7 hours ago, JayEhl said:

I've kept my projects no matter how crappy.  (yea, the box is getting full... :) )   I just have to remember to put the month/year on it so I can go back and reflect on my progress.

LOL, I still have my first coaster from the Tandy project kit.  It makes me cringe but reminds me how much I've improved so I won't get so hard on my self when I do flub up.  

from bow to crate! I have all my crappy and unfinished projects there :) 

Leather craft is an intense learning experience. Maybe that's what keeps me at it. The leather just doesn't hide anything, and oopsies sometimes dominate. Like having a brush pop out of my hand flipping in the air with black dye on it...yesterday.