Pinecone

Manual splitting machine

Hi! 

I'm thinking about buying a cheap manual splitting-skiving machine. It's a bit frustrating when you have to order thinner panels 0,8mm for example, and only a few suppliers do it in small quantities. I've found this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001661408073.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.54ff2e0eSiqwFK from Aliexpress. Has anyone used it or a similar one? will it do it's work or it will leave marks on the grain side or make uneven parts of the panel?

Vasilis 

Pinecone Leather Goods - Athens, Greece

Thank you Mike for your response! Those articles are helpful. This one I posted above is 8.5 inches. I think it's more than enough since I need this just for wallet pockets. 

I really don’t trust Chinese tools, especially something like that. If you buy it come back here and give it a review. 

The problem I have with splitters like this is that it is hard to manually pull the leather through them and as you thin it down the more it distorts when you try to pull it through.  I tried to do some wallet pockets using a splitter like this and finally gave up.  The problem I had was it took a number of passes to get down to the thickness I wanted due to the force required to pull it through and, as I mentioned, when I got down to the last few splits, the leather distorted so much from the force necessary to pull it through it was unusable.  Maybe you will have better luck.

I have a number of Chinese made tools and have never had any problems with them so that, to me, is a non issue. 

Its hard to beat that price and I think you'd have to weigh what and how often you're going to use that tool.  I'm a simple hobbyist and I've been interested in finding something myself so thank you @mike02130 for placing those tutorials.  In fact, I've downloaded a couple of others!  :)  

On 3/11/2021 at 4:52 PM, mike02130 said:

I really don’t trust Chinese tools, especially something like that. If you buy it come back here and give it a review. 

I know what you mean. I have enough doupts when I'm about to purchase something from China. I still haven't met even one person who's used something like this so I'm a bit sceptical. In the end it's not crazy expensive that I would regret it badly. If I buy it I'll write a review. 

On 3/11/2021 at 5:16 PM, sbrownn said:

The problem I have with splitters like this is that it is hard to manually pull the leather through them and as you thin it down the more it distorts when you try to pull it through.  I tried to do some wallet pockets using a splitter like this and finally gave up.  The problem I had was it took a number of passes to get down to the thickness I wanted due to the force required to pull it through and, as I mentioned, when I got down to the last few splits, the leather distorted so much from the force necessary to pull it through it was unusable.  Maybe you will have better luck.

I have a number of Chinese made tools and have never had any problems with them so that, to me, is a non issue. 

That's what I'm afraid of actually. But arent's those machines adjustable regarding the thickness of the leather? If you check the video it seems that the guy is passing through quite soft leather, looks like tumbled, and it's split easily. Probably I'll just try it. If it's not good for pockets it might be ok for belt straps since it's easier to pull them  through. 

On 3/11/2021 at 5:19 PM, JayEhl said:

Its hard to beat that price and I think you'd have to weigh what and how often you're going to use that tool.  I'm a simple hobbyist and I've been interested in finding something myself so thank you @mike02130 for placing those tutorials.  In fact, I've downloaded a couple of others!  :)  

I wouldn't call myself a professional either, nor a hobbyist. I'm just trying to level up and make more products and sell them. So far I mostly receive custom requests and even though I have plenty of different leathers  have to order the same with specific thickness and that's a waste of time and money. If something like that works efficiently I'd be really happy. 

On 3/11/2021 at 3:16 PM, sbrownn said:

Is there a general guide on how much you can reduce the thickness to avoid distorting the leather, for instance reducing 3mm leather to 1mm may be to much strain on it even with multiple passes, of do people just limit the reduction to say half or a quarter of the original thickness so you would reduce 3.. to 1.5mm or about 2mm

7 hours ago, chrisash said:

Is there a general guide on how much you can reduce the thickness to avoid distorting the leather, for instance reducing 3mm leather to 1mm may be to much strain on it even with multiple passes, of do people just limit the reduction to say half or a quarter of the original thickness so you would reduce 3.. to 1.5mm or about 2mm

Yes, I agree that is true.  The problem I had though was no matter how many splits I was using, when I got down to the last few splits the leather was already so thin that it deformed when I was pulling it through the splitter.  I found a used Landis hand crank splitter for $100 that just needed it's blade sharpened and it works so well I just never use the pull through splitter anymore.