Sign in to follow this  
cldpsu

Amperage for a bench grinder with rubber expanding wheel

Hi all,

I’m hoping to buy a bench grinder to use with a rubber expanding wheel I purchased. This is going to be for sole/heel finishing. I’m looking at a Rikon 1/2hp or 1 hp slow speed (1750 RPM) grinder and they have 3 and 7 amps, respectively. I’m not concerned about the extra 100 bucks in the heftier version, but I’m wondering if it’s overkill to have that much power and whether I would experience any bogging down of the motor with 3 amps. I’ve always done edge finishing by hand so I’m unsure about the pressure applied to the wheel and how much I might manage to bog down the motor. Thanks for any help!

29 minutes ago, cldpsu said:

I’m unsure about the pressure applied to the wheel and how much I might manage to bog down the motor.

Then you answered your own question. You can always slow down the heavier duty version, but you can't increase the power of the lighter duty machine.

Woodcraft carries Rikon grinders.  If you have a local store you may ask them if you can try one out.  They usually teach classes and have the grinders in the shop area.  I'm of the belief that stronger is better.  You could also rig something up on an electric motor with a mandrel.  That way the wheel isn't hindered by the grinder housing.  You can pick up a motor cheap on Craig's list.

how hard or how much pressure you put on the wheel will dictate if it bogs down, you can bog any size motor down and it will result in overheating and failure. So you can also successfully grind something with a smaller motor it will just take longer because you cant push as hard against it before it bogs. I would go with the higher horse motor because it wont heat up as much if in fact you do put to much strain on it and your sanding , grinding will go much faster as a result.

https://www.thefabricator.com/stampingjournal/article/cuttingweldprep/four-factors-to-consider-when-purchasing-a-grinder--you-get-what-you-pay-for

Edited by chuck123wapati