JDsims

Tool Question

Hello All - 

I'm new to leatherworking. I'm looking to buy my first tools.

My plan is to make belts, dog collars, wallets, book covers and gun slings to start with. 

I have been learning on which tools to get but I'm curious on which brands you recommend?

I want something about the middle of the road to start with. 

Thank you for your time.

You say you've been learning what tools to get.  Well, what are they?  So many answers are possible.  Do a search or start watching videos and take notes.  Define your budget and long term goals.  The better the question--the better the answer.  Help us help you. I can't speak for all, but spoon feeding is frowned upon.  First tool tip is, do not buy a kit from eBay or Amazon.

Literally, I'd start with a dinner fork (for spacing), an awl (for poking holes), some John James #2 needles (for sewing), and some "hand sewing thread" from Amazon, and use some sandpaper for edges. Get some cheap belly leather from Tandy (or some other vendor as long as it fits your budget) and make a few things to see if you even like working leather. If you do, then I'd not waste my time with even middle of the road tools. Buy once and cry once, just make sure you are getting the tools you actually need. I have a ton of crap I don't even touch because I bought it when I was stupid and knew no better. I have about 10 basic tools I use all the time, the other 200 or so are rarely touched; make the 10 superior and worry little about the other ones and go slow.

My $.02.

6 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

Buy once and cry once, just make sure you are getting the tools you actually need.

Wished I had that bit of wisdom.  As it turns out I, too, have invested in higher quality tools (Barry King mostly -- assuming they're top quality) and the results are much better.   

@JDsims: Bear in mind that your intended purposes span across "genres" of leatherworking.

Meaning that you'll require a larger repertoire of tools.

I'll spoon feed you:

Belts, dog collars, and slings all fall into the genre of strap-making. You'll need a set of rulers (12" and 60" minimum, 36" recommended), a strap cutter, a couple of bevelers (#1 and #2), needles, and stitching chisels or pricking irons (4 mm or 6 spi). You'll also need a wood slicker to burnish edges. An adjustable creaser is a nice addition.

Wallets and book covers fall in the genre of small leather goods, and these require tools that are aimed at precision work. In addition to the ones I listed above for straps, you'll have to add: a #0 beveler, a craft knife, another set of chisels/pricking irons (3.85 mm or 3.38 mm, 7 spi and 8 spi respectively).

As a must, for all genres, you'll also need a square ruler, a cutting board, a cutting mat, a punching pad, a scratch awl, a set of hole punches, a poly mallet, a diamond awl, a stitching pony, a wing divider, and very sharp knives (I'd start with an Olfa utility cutter, and a Japanese style skiving knife), a bone folder, and a spirit lamp to heat your creasers. Eventually you'll want a round knife.

Don't forget your supplies also and the accoutrements they need: thread, contact cement, glue applicators, edge coat/paint, burnishing agent, canvas for burnishing, and shop towel for all kinds of tasks.

Where to get all these things?

First of all, avoid made in China junk. Yes, the price is awesome... and it must be because you'll be paying it a score of times over very often.

Rocky Mountain Leather Supply has many tools and tons of leather and supplies. They have Ritza Tiger thread: easily the best thread for leathercraft.

Goods Japan has tons of inexpensive tools that are of very good quality. Get your Japanese skiving knife and your Kyoshin Elle edgers from them. You won't regret it. Forget Amazon and ewwBay, Goodsjapan.com ARE the guys you should hit for budget-priced tools that are actually good.

There are other suppliers in the US, but I'm in Canada and those are the main international suppliers I use. The rest of my stuff I get it domestically.

There are tons of videos out there on "tools for starting in leathercraft" but I find it disingenious to direct a newcomer there because beginners can't tell the wheat from the chaff and good advice from BS.

That being said, there are a number of leather workers with YT channels who speak with the authority given from experience, knowledge of the craft, and whose advice you can trust. Two of them are Nigel Armitage and Ian Atkinson. The latter also has a guide for beginners: https://www.ianatkinson.net/leather/leatherguide.htm

Hope that helps.

Edited by Hardrada

As an addendum, here are some channels that are good and trustworthy resources:

Nigel Armitage's: https://www.youtube.com/user/Nordicbadger

Ian Atkinson: https://www.youtube.com/c/IanAtkinsonLeather/videos

Hahn's Atelier: https://www.youtube.com/c/HahnsAtelier/videos

I also got some good tips from Stock & Barrel when I was starting out. He seems to have moved more in the direction of industrial home workshop, bringing in a number of machines to automate some processes, but there might still be something there for beginners and those of us who prefer hand tools: https://www.youtube.com/c/Stockandbarrelco/videos

Last, but not least, and specially given your interest in belts, Harry Rodgers: https://www.youtube.com/c/mrwindsorchair/videos (hmm, looks like he's gotten into shoes, but his belt "films" are still there).

I think all of them have at least one video about what are the essential tools you need to get into leathercraft.

Edited by Hardrada

2 hours ago, mike02130 said:

You say you've been learning what tools to get.  Well, what are they?  So many answers are possible.  Do a search or start watching videos and take notes.  Define your budget and long term goals.  The better the question--the better the answer.  Help us help you. I can't speak for all, but spoon feeding is frowned upon.  First tool tip is, do not buy a kit from eBay or Amazon.

Hi Mike here is a list of tools I can think name of the top of my head. My list is at home and I'm currently at work.

1.) Strap cutter

2.) Cutting Mat

3.) Edger

4.) Edge Guide/ Groover

5.) Skinning knife

6.) Hole Punch

7.) Stitching chisel set

8.) Swivel Knife

9.) Granit for setting rivets

10.) needles

11.) Stitching Awl

12.) Stitching Pony 

13.) Scratch Awl 

14.) Maul or Mallet

15.) Oblong and strap end punch

My Current budget is about 1k for tools.

I want to start with Dog Collars for (Larger and medium size dogs), Belts and Slings get proficient and good enough to sale. The book cover are for my grand daughters bibles thought this might be a nice Christmas gift.

My long term goals I have been tossing around the idea of western boot making or tack.

1 hour ago, Hardrada said:

As an addendum, here are some channels that are good and trustworthy resources:

Nigel Armitage's: https://www.youtube.com/user/Nordicbadger

Ian Atkinson: https://www.youtube.com/c/IanAtkinsonLeather/videos

Hahn's Atelier: https://www.youtube.com/c/HahnsAtelier/videos

I also got some good tips from Stock & Barrel when I was starting out. He seems to have moved more in the direction of industrial home workshop, bringing in a number of machines to automate some processes, but there might still be something there for beginners and those of us who prefer hand tools: https://www.youtube.com/c/Stockandbarrelco/videos

Last, but not least, and specially given your interest in belts, Harry Rodgers: https://www.youtube.com/c/mrwindsorchair/videos (hmm, looks like he's gotten into shoes, but his belt "films" are still there).

I think all of them have at least one video about what are the essential tools you need to get into leathercraft.

Thank you Hardrada for the information.

One tool I'd advise getting is wing-dividers or the screw adjusted version.

image.png.6f7116b1615842e36be988523ef03e61.png  image.png.485d04b6f4107931af710e6d0555e474.png

Most useful in my instances

Your #5 - I hope you mean a skiving knife. A skinning knife is a very different tool and would not be much use to you

Buy high quality hole punches, don't skimp on them. You'll also need a range of item such as files, whetstones etc for making sharp things sharp and keeping them that way

Edited by fredk

Wow, that's quite the list.  I'm really not as bad as I sound. I make women's handbags and smaller items using 1-4 ounce leather.  Your wants and my work are sort of at opposite ends.  I do make a pretty damn good belt, though.  There are plenty of other westen-type workers here that can guide you better than I.  When you get into my "genre" I can be of more assistance.  Hmm, a thousand  bucks huh.  Your covid check come in?  Good luck and have fun.

1 hour ago, fredk said:

Your #5 - I hope you mean a skiving knife. A skinning knife is a very different tool and would not be much use to you

He's doing cowboy stuff.  Gotta have a skinning knife.  How else is he going to get the leather off the beast?

Don't let anyone tell you everything from China is junk because it isn't.  Shop around and read reviews.  Some of the Chinese made tools are actually quite good.

55 minutes ago, mike02130 said:

Wow, that's quite the list.  I'm really not as bad as I sound. I make women's handbags and smaller items using 1-4 ounce leather.  Your wants and my work are sort of at opposite ends.  I do make a pretty damn good belt, though.  There are plenty of other westen-type workers here that can guide you better than I.  When you get into my "genre" I can be of more assistance.  Hmm, a thousand  bucks huh.  Your covid check come in?  Good luck and have fun.

No on the Covid Check. That's my bonus this month from work. I guess I could up my budget some also since the covid check and tax returns are coming give me some extra cash also.

1 hour ago, fredk said:

One tool I'd advise getting is wing-dividers or the screw adjusted version.

image.png.6f7116b1615842e36be988523ef03e61.png  image.png.485d04b6f4107931af710e6d0555e474.png

Most useful in my instances

Buy high quality hole punches, don't skimp on them. You'll also need a range of item such as files, whetstones etc for making sharp things sharp and keeping them that way

I did mean Skiving knife. I already have skinning knifes. We raise Beef and Sheep in a way if I wanted to go through the process I could tan my own hides.

4 hours ago, sbrownn said:

Don't let anyone tell you everything from China is junk because it isn't.  Shop around and read reviews.  Some of the Chinese made tools are actually quite good.

Not much is good.  Certainly not the greatest.

Don't forget used tools. I have made some excellent purchases from folks on this site. I also check out flea markets and antique stores. ASK! Surprising what people have and don't want. One of my best all time tool purchases was at an auction years ago, three boxes of tools, leather and books. Some of my most prized, I got for $70.00!! No one at the auction (besides me) knew what those boxes were (or cared)....when the time came for bidding, I asked if all three boxes could be auctioned for "one money". Auctioneer says "sure". I said $70.00....no one else says anything! I went home and inventoried. Retail pricing (back then) added up  to $800.00. I have several stories like this. 

I have told my hot wife and my adult kids: when I pass,  Please sell these tools to someone that appreciates and will use them. PLEASE don't have a yard sale!

Good luck!! (and yes, I have more tools than I use, and some I may never use.  For me, the hunt is so much fun)

Chuck Dorset, Weaver Leather supply has some good videos. Make Leather Supply (he uses very few tools for his projects) http://makesupply-leather.com/

Edited by eglideride
web site

6 hours ago, mike02130 said:

Not much is good.  Certainly not the greatest.

If you were to go onto Alibaba.com and look at the vast amount of top end machinery that's made in China you might have a more open mind

Its easy to look on eBay and see the bottom of the market, displayed there at cheap prices and ignore the top end goods they also make

You've had some good advice in these replies. Something you will quickly realise is that the same sort of tools and techniques are used for most items, whether it be belts, wallets, or bags & pouches; and that there is a lot of information on YouTube 

Search it for beginners tools and you will see that each leatherworker has a slight variation, though they all follow the same sort of ideas. Also Search for methods such as saddle stitch, edge burnishing etc, and items, both those that interest you and some that might not at the moment, and you'll see what other people use, and how they do things

Search on Etsy for tools that interest you, maybe Japanese leather knives, leather edge bevelers, stitching chisels, and so on. There is a wide range, from the cheapest to the best and most expensive

Hadrada's video channel suggestions are good, but I can also recommend J H Leather. Her videos are clear and well made, and she has several on making dog collars  

4 hours ago, chrisash said:

If you were to go onto Alibaba.com and look at the vast amount of top end machinery that's made in China you might have a more open mind

Its easy to look on eBay and see the bottom of the market, displayed there at cheap prices and ignore the top end goods they also make

My mind is not open to supporting totalitarian countries with questionable labor practices, mass surveillance and forced labor in order to save a few bucks. Not to mention many more questionable practices. 

Here is a tool set to make unsewn dog collars.  You could eliminate the slot punch and use an 1/8" punch  to punch two holes at a distance and then cut the slot out with a knife.  

IMG_0851.jpg

23 hours ago, JDsims said:

Hello All - 

I'm new to leatherworking. I'm looking to buy my first tools.

My plan is to make belts, dog collars, wallets, book covers and gun slings to start with. 

I have been learning on which tools to get but I'm curious on which brands you recommend?

I want something about the middle of the road to start with. 

Thank you for your time.

go to tandys ebook site and download all the free ebooks. everything you need to know can be found there as well as how to do it. there is not much in the line of middle of the road IMO except the older used craftools from tandy but there are tons of tools not related directly to leather work that can be used that are much cheaper than "leatherworking " tools. 

https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/category/79/ebooks?pagenum=1

3 hours ago, mike02130 said:

My mind is not open to supporting totalitarian countries with questionable labor practices, mass surveillance and forced labor in order to save a few bucks. Not to mention many more questionable practices. 

That's fine but we were talking about the quality of Chinese made tools, not your particular biased politics.

Dude, knock it off. Quit your virtue signaling.

sbrowm said, "That's fine but we were talking about the quality of Chinese made tools, not your particular biased politics".

sbrown also said, "If you were to go onto Alibaba.com and look at the vast amount of top end machinery that's made in China you might have a more open mind"

"Look" is the key word here. They may look shiny and pretty but do they work and last and offer any tech support?  

Feel free to DM me if you feel the need to drag this on more.  I don't think this is the place for your attack's and defensiveness.

Edited by mike02130
add stuff

15 hours ago, eglideride said:

Don't forget used tools. I have made some excellent purchases from folks on this site. I also check out flea markets and antique stores. . . . 

This :16: Its surprising what you can find. Often you can get leatherwork tools cheap cos the seller doesn't know what they are and for

6 hours ago, mike02130 said:

Here is a tool set to make unsewn dog collars.  You could eliminate the slot punch and use an 1/8" punch  to punch two holes at a distance and then cut the slot out with a knife.  

IMG_0851.jpg

Yes but i would change the skiving knife for a round knife or single head knife add some needles and thread and an engineers square, keep the keep the crew punch he has a healthy budget for his current projects.

Heres the link for JH Leather. 

https://www.youtube.com/c/JHLeather/videos

A link for somewhere to get good quality used tools wish we had such a place this side of the pond.

https://brucejohnsonleather.com

On the Chinese tools i know they are not all bad but i am not buying because undercutting various makers from around the world making copies of copies these days too, we already have lost Dixons to this and have a feeling Osborne are feeling the pressure too. Not only are they content with tools i saw in a post they copying thread too, not good in my eyes - i know the quality is maybe there in some of the products, but that does not make it right- people losing  their livelihoods to this practice is wrong all day long in my eyes.

Hope this helps

JCUK

P.S. On a personal note i would learn to double hand stitch/ saddle stitch using awl and needle better to know how to do because the weight of leather you will be using on some of your products will serve you better in my opinion.

Edited by jcuk

Newbie question......I’ve seen Japanese leather knives demonstrated where the knife is held at an angle so the beveled side of the knife edge runs along the ruler straight edge.  Do most leather workers find it easier to run the knife straight edge against the ruler straight edge instead?Recommendation for someone learning the craft?

thanks