Darringriff

Tandy Harness leather

hoping for some guidance, I purchased a side of Harness leather from Tandy on March 2 arrived today, when I open the box it's completely covered in white wax. Like it honestly looks painted on there, I buffed off a few spots and there are dark dots cover areas of the hide, they are all over the place as I buffed off other areas, there are some good gouges and scrapes and also some brand marks on it. It just looks awful. I will update this post with photos I took them with my phone and they are a bit slow in arriving via email! Is this standard? They hide was 305.00 so not cheap either. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you

Send it back.

Look here,

https://wickett-craig.com/leathers/show-harness/

https://www.buckleguy.com/Search.html#/Search.html?search=harness+leather&category=F232

Oh, you're in Canada.

Edited by mike02130
Add Oh, you're in Canada.

This is why I always shop for leather at Tandy's in person... :unsure:

Tandy had to ship from Calgary as they didn't have stock in Mississauga. Yes I agree it’s best to see it in person especially from Tandy as they buy in such bulk they don’t inspect individual hides. I am looking at other suppliers. We are getting w and c leather options here so maybe I’ll look not that too. Thanks for the replies.

8D2A7207-ADB9-4A78-91C7-C770C33C660D.jpeg

AD85D9B3-4DBD-4B40-A793-162DA3E5C818.jpeg

7FD88447-59C5-4693-99D0-BA3AA593CC6A.jpeg

6BF9CE96-8176-44BC-9101-BBDD4CA32213.jpeg

Edited by Darringriff
Adding pics

Wow, that's HORRIBLE!  Doesn't even look like leather! :no: 

I use Buckskin Leather. Competitive pricing the leather is excellent quality. Service second to none. They have stores in Calgary, Edmonton and Nanaimo I think I've never shopped the Vancouver Island store so the community may be wrong here. I use the Calgary store as I've made a personal business contact whom works there. Its almost like shopping in person. I call the 800 number for the warehouse in Calgary request the person to call back they call back as soon as they are fee and show me pictures of the actual side I get. Shipping is free over so much. Their web site is not designed to shop from though. A small price to pay for the personalized service though. Wholesale Leather Supplier | Leatherworking & Leather Craft Supply (buckskinleather.com) I would call Tandy and express my dissatisfaction. The bloom should buff off not usually a sign of poor quality just long storage its fats and tallows put into the hide during the currying stage. Dark marks are part of the character. But the scuff marks are poor handling and the person whom picked the hide not caring or not knowing what a side should look like. If you get no satisfaction send the hide back and get your money returned.

Edited by 45rjb222
Forgot to add statement

Send it back no sorry dump it back at there expense thats unacceptable, i thought they were trying to clean up their act obviously not in this case.

JCUK

Tandy is garbage. They have burned me on a side of superior oak veg tan it had square bleach marks all over it and the corporate said wait till my store opens. Then in good faith I ordered a b grade hermann oak tooling side. It was a garbage craftsmanship grade at best. Ill stop by the store for some dye and other odds and ends. But I will never buy leather from them again.

On 3/12/2021 at 12:21 PM, Darringriff said:

hoping for some guidance, I purchased a side of Harness leather from Tandy on March 2 arrived today, when I open the box it's completely covered in white wax. Like it honestly looks painted on there, I buffed off a few spots and there are dark dots cover areas of the hide, they are all over the place as I buffed off other areas, there are some good gouges and scrapes and also some brand marks on it. It just looks awful. I will update this post with photos I took them with my phone and they are a bit slow in arriving via email! Is this standard? They hide was 305.00 so not cheap either. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you

What, specifically did you order?  Just curious because on their website they don't list anything as "harness leather".  Do you remember the exact description?