Landcruzer94

CB3200 Inner/Outer feet timing

Hey all,

I have a situation that's been driving me batty in my pursuit of tuning up my CB3200.  Needle timing is (I feel) pretty much spot on, but in terms of inner foot position I'm not able to get it quite right.

What I'm reading is that the inner presser foot should be making contact with the throat plate just as the needle is meeting that plane.  When I adjust the presser foot balance to where that happens I get binding in the position noted in yellow as the needle approaches top dead center.  I'm never under power when I'm testing this, but just turning the wheel to that position stops the machine cold. 

Now I can adjust it so it barely clears that binding, but as someone else has complained in the past 

The only way I can adjust for perfect forward/backward movement places the presser foot in contact with the feed dog about 1/2" or so before the needle pierces the leather. (Pic attached)

Where am I going wrong here?

Binding linkages shot

Screenshot_20210313-090841_Gallery.jpg

This is inner foot in relation to the needle

20210313_090529.jpg

Edited by Landcruzer94

Is it okay to bump threads around here?  I appreciate any insight you can provide!

With the outside foot resting on the needle plate & the inside foot raised loosen the 2-screws that hold this assembly on the back pressure bar & drop it down 3/16" & then re-adjust the shaft on top in the back.

I just spent some quality time with my own Cowboy CB-3200 to figure out how that walking foot linkage works, and how it should be adjusted. The Juki TSC-441 engineering manual doesn’t really address this for some reason. I made a video that shows how I adjusted my machine and the small modification I had to make to avoid a bind in the linkage. Hopefully it gives you enough information to adjust your machine as well. 

This might be the trick!  I'll try it out this weekend and report back.  Thank you so much!

Update: worked perfect.  Thank you so much!!

Uwe, that’s another great video!

Thank you Uwe, that’s really useful!

On 3/18/2021 at 7:47 AM, CowboyBob said:

With the outside foot resting on the needle plate & the inside foot raised loosen the 2-screws that hold this assembly on the back pressure bar & drop it down 3/16" & then re-adjust the shaft on top in the back.

Can you clarify this instruction?  A bit confusing.. If the outside/back foot is already resting on the needle plate, how can you drop it down another 3/16"?  I think I am having similar issues with my machine, foot timing is way wrong (inside foot is raising when needle is dropping, binding when trying to get it any different).  Thank you in advance,

YinTx

On 11/12/2021 at 5:02 PM, YinTx said:

Can you clarify this instruction?  A bit confusing.. If the outside/back foot is already resting on the needle plate, how can you drop it down another 3/16"?  I think I am having similar issues with my machine, foot timing is way wrong (inside foot is raising when needle is dropping, binding when trying to get it any different).  Thank you in advance,

YinTx

Let the the inside foot 3/16".

On 11/12/2021 at 5:02 PM, YinTx said:

YinTx

Watch the video that Uwe posted earlier in this topic. It demonstrates the process to get the feet in sync with the needle and feed dog.

1 hour ago, Wizcrafts said:

Watch the video that Uwe posted earlier in this topic. It demonstrates the process to get the feet in sync with the needle and feed dog.

@Wizcrafts, thank you for that pointer.  I did watch this video, as mentioned in my post last Wednesday.    To avoid hijacking this thread, tho they are related, here is the thread that I started that discusses some of the issues I am having.  I am beginning to believe that something slipped on the shaft causing the linkages to move in opposite directions than they are supposed to.  Hoping someone has seen this before, or can point me to the right direction to understand how to get it back into timing.  Since the post, I have been able to get the shuttle hook timing a lot closer as highlighted by RockieAussie.  I have the presser foot lifting a bit more, but still the needle foot raises when the needle drops, and drops when the needle raises.

YinTx

Oh, I see. My bad. I thought this was just a simple misadjustment of a machine. Your machine may need professional adjustment.

Any further replies should go into your other thread about your machine.

4 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Oh, I see. My bad. I thought this was just a simple misadjustment of a machine. Your machine may need professional adjustment.

Any further replies should go into your other thread about your machine.

It may be a simple adjustment.  I have had some success today, since there is no professional around that I know of, I'm the defacto mechanic, so I do appreciate the tips and help.  This troubleshooting may help others too.  If you have time and desire, kindly refer to the other thread I started and provide any input you like.  Thanks again, and back to the regular programming!

YinTx