CZernoch

Bell Skiver for watch strap making

Hello, 

I'm looking for skiving machine primary for making watch strap. Until now i skived by hand parts in wallets and cardholders, but thinning in full area for watch stap is nightmare. I want buy high quality machine.

I found rebuild skiving machine Fortuna SM 50 from company Sieck (for 2000 EUR).  Is ti good idea buy machine like this or try to find some new machine from cheaper company?

Thank you best regards

For such small items have you considered a manual machine like a Scharffix Leather Skiving Paring Machine (German Made) ?

I have one and it’s perfect for straps and the like, you can get cheaper copy versions  but I liked the solid build of the original 

Any experience with the Felsted skiver? Or is that strictly limited to bookbinding leathers?

1 hour ago, HaloJones said:

For such small items have you considered a manual machine like a Scharffix Leather Skiving Paring Machine (German Made) ?

I have one and it’s perfect for straps and the like, you can get cheaper copy versions  but I liked the solid build of the original 

^^
This.

The widest anvil on the Shärffix is just the right size for watch straps. Once you've made your gauging pieces of leather, you're set, at a fraction of the cost of the bell skiver and no need to plug it in.

Edited by Hardrada

I only got it last month, but it uses standard razor type blades, the kind that are sharp on both sides. So you get two edges per blade, I got a box of spares I think they we £3 for 10, 

On 3/13/2021 at 7:59 PM, CZernoch said:

Hello, 

I'm looking for skiving machine primary for making watch strap. Until now i skived by hand parts in wallets and cardholders, but thinning in full area for watch stap is nightmare. I want buy high quality machine.

I found rebuild skiving machine Fortuna SM 50 from company Sieck (for 2000 EUR).  Is ti good idea buy machine like this or try to find some new machine from cheaper company?

Thank you best regards

Hello, LW member Danishman might have a skiver for sale, you could maybe ask him.