bigsig11010

Seiko stw 8 / consew 225 what to adjust?

Same stw 8 that I have been asking about. Ordered 138 thread and 135 x 16 size 22 needle. I have also changed the motor pulley to a 2”. I have ordered servo motor from Toledo. So test drive with new thread and needle. Only 1 layer for test but the back side or bottom doesn’t look right. What do I need to adjust and how do I adjust it? I had to downsize the pics to be able to upload as per attachment requirements. 

any help greatly appreciated. 

20210315_150947_copy_718x958 2.jpg

20210315_150937_copy_767x1023 2.jpg

I'd start by increasing the top thread tension, it should help pull the knot up tighter.

Try putting something in the machine that you'd actually sew and play around a little more.  Maybe two layers of that leather.  Increase upper tension for sure, but you may have to adjust the bobbin tension as well.  

Also a #23 needle may help you sew 138 thread in leather.

Best of luck with it.  

Upper tension.

Ok added upper thread tension and tried 2 layers. I did not adjust stitch length at all but the stitches are much shorter on the 2 layers? Why is that? 

on left is 1 layer on right is 2 layers.

also looks like bottom or back side getting worse not better. 

20210315_221144_copy_744x992.jpg

20210315_221131_copy_784x1046.jpg

I don´t know your tension spring but maybe a heavier type beehive spring could help too. Juki parts is # B3114-232-000. You should get them from most industrial sewing machine dealers. They usually cost 2 bucks or so. Maybe worth trying.

Or try a larger needle size . Stitches on most needle feed / triple feed machines become shorter the thicker the material. That's the pendulum effect of the needle bar. Add another layer and stitches will be even shorter.

Edited by Constabulary

It looks as if something is keeping the bobbin from releasing thread properly - that’s keeping the material from feeding (short stitches) and not allowing the knot to be pulled up correctly.  How have you adjusted the bobbin tension?    Holding the bobbin case by the thread tail tension shouldn’t be so loose that it falls to the floor, but jiggling the bobbin case should let out more thread.

I’m embarrassed to say I don’t know how to remove the bobbin case. I took out the bobbin but couldn’t see how to remove the case and didn’t see on YouTube how to remove it. 

47 minutes ago, bigsig11010 said:

I took out the bobbin but couldn’t see how to remove the case

edit to change .. thought it was bottom load .

OHHhhh .. must be ( Top Load ) Bobbin ?.

Your Tension is on the side ( staring up at you )  it's the 'spinning basket'  you removed the Bobbin out of . just start looking around the side that is exposed to you, and you will see the tiny screw that adjusts the little leaf spring that the Bobbin thread is routed threw . .

https://sewing.com/sewing-machine-parts/

Edited by nylonRigging

9 hours ago, bigsig11010 said:

I’m embarrassed to say I don’t know how to remove the bobbin case. I took out the bobbin but couldn’t see how to remove the case and didn’t see on YouTube how to remove it. 

Ooops - that’s my mistake - there is no removable bobbin case on this model. 

I feel like I am making progress even if slow progress. Today I got my new servo motor from Toledo.  Very helpful on phone and order got here super fast. Got it installed and works great. Also got a new spring (the u shaped one) got that installed and gave it a trial run. Much better. Cant even describe how much easier to control with the servo motor. Wow!. 

Bottom or back side still not exactly right but definitely getting there. 

Thank you to everyone who took time to reply with help and advice. 

20210317_182435_copy_808x1077.jpg

20210317_182430_copy_817x1089.jpg

Im still not getting good results on the bottom or back side. The bobbin tension is where I have to jiggle it while holding thread to get it to come out. Ive adjusted and un adjusted the top tension but the bottom still looks sloppy and the knot is not pulling up. 

What do I do next?

Thank you to everyone who took time to reply with help and advice. 

20210318_210324_copy_671x895.jpg

20210318_210316_copy_671x895.jpg

What are you sewing now - 2 layers of fabric? I´d say in this case the thread is too thick for the material and looks like the needle size is too small too (combination of both I´d say.) Thread size has to suit the material thickness, the thinner the material the thinner the thread cause the thread has to build the knot between the layers. But again I think your needle is too small for the thread cause the hole the needle punches is too small to pull in the thread knot. Thats why the thread knot appears on the bottom side.

About 6 layers of canvas. 138 thread and 22 needle. I just wanted to test on somthing different from the pieces of leather ive been testing on. 

Would it help to have a size smaller thread on bottom? Ive seen that mentioned here but thought top and bottom needed to be same. Didnt realize that they could be different sizes at same time. Im learning. 

Try a 23 or 24 needle, 

I’m having trouble finding 24 or 25 in the 135x16 any ideas? I remember seeing a post here I think Bob said he has them but I don’t see on website. I’ll give him a call.