Butch

Outside Fender Straps

I’m starting my first saddle and plan on a 1/4 tooled 58 Wade. I want to put the Fender straps on the outside so I can tool them. I’m curious about the length of outside fender straps vs the length of typical inside fender straps? Does the outside fender straps need to be longer?

thanks

Butch

Never made one that way, but I guess they'd be the same length as inside except maybe a bit longer to do the outside curve around the stirrup. I think Stohlman mentions that method in his saddle book.  -John

On 3/19/2021 at 8:25 AM, Squilchuck said:

Never made one that way, but I guess they'd be the same length as inside except maybe a bit longer to do the outside curve around the stirrup. I think Stohlman mentions that method in his saddle book.  -John

Thanks John. I briefly scanned through his books but they all looked like inside straps. I’ll read a little deeper

Butch,

My answer to you is YES, your leathers will be longer on the outside of the fender.  Stohlman has a length guide in his book, but I feel you just can't take his guide and add (say) 3 to 5 inches.  My answer would be to determine the length you will need using the outside-fender measurements and ADD some extra.  You can always remove leather.  Do not punch your buckle holes until you've tooled your leathers and attached them to your fender.  When you are satisfied with them, now you can measure your inside part and cut to desired length, and punch your buckle holes.  You may feel like you are wasting leather, but it is easier than mis-measuring and having to do them over.

Good luck, Ron

22 hours ago, Squilchuck said:

I think in volume 1 in the intro section he talks about different fender styles. I'll look later. -John

Thanks John. I found it in volume 1. They show that it would go on the inside but it’ll work on the outside as well. 

Thanks

Butch

19 hours ago, Goldshot Ron said:

Butch,

My answer to you is YES, your leathers will be longer on the outside of the fender.  Stohlman has a length guide in his book, but I feel you just can't take his guide and add (say) 3 to 5 inches.  My answer would be to determine the length you will need using the outside-fender measurements and ADD some extra.  You can always remove leather.  Do not punch your buckle holes until you've tooled your leathers and attached them to your fender.  When you are satisfied with them, now you can measure your inside part and cut to desired length, and punch your buckle holes.  You may feel like you are wasting leather, but it is easier than mis-measuring and having to do them over.

Good luck, Ron

Thanks Ron

Found it in volume 1 along with the lengths. Can never be too long. A little scrap leather is worth it

Thanks

Butch

The short answer is 5/8".  Here's why:   The common term for what I presume you are calling fender straps is "stirrup leathers."  If so, when they are "exposed stirrup leathers" or on the outside of the fenders, the only difference in length is that the stirrup leather wraps around the stirrup bolt and the "leg of the fender" or sometimes called the "turn-back" of the fender.  In other words, there is one additional thickness of skirting under the stirrup leather as it wraps around the stirrup bolt (nothing changes as the leathers wrap around the tree).  Assuming the thickness of the fender leg is about 13/14 ounce, this will add 5/8" to the length of the stirrup leather.  That's the same distance I move the fender up on the stirrup leather when attaching the top of the fender to stirrup leathers when the leathers are on the inside. 

I actually don't even factor the additional 5/8" into the length of exposed stirrup leathers since their length is approximate and should always be longer than needed by several inches, so 5/8" is splitting hairs.   In general, stirrup leather length should be in proportion to the fender length.  You can find charts to approximate fender and stirrup leather length needed for a given rider's inseam.  For example,  for a tall rider (me) with a 34" inseam you could select a 20" fender with a 64" stirrup leather for Blevins type buckles.  Obviously that won't work for a 5' 4" rider as you won't be able to pull the finder up far enough into the saddle.  Likewise you don't want 64" stirrup leathers hanging down below the stirrups if the saddle has 17" fenders for the shorter rider; If you ever pulled the stirrup leathers and fenders down far enough to use the last holes of the 64" leathers, the top of the fender attachment would be exposed below the seat jockey and it would be pinching your leg.  One size does not fit all!

Speaking of stirrup leather length, I think it's important to pre-stretch them before final cutting and especially before punching buckle holes.  I did an article on this in the Nov/Dec 2019 volume of the Leather Crafters & Saddlers Journal.  IMO and experience, If you don't pre-stretch, it is likely that the leathers will be significantly uneven after long use and the holes will be difficult to align with the buckles.

On 3/26/2021 at 11:02 AM, EdOdgers said:

The short answer is 5/8".  Here's why:   The common term for what I presume you are calling fender straps is "stirrup leathers."  If so, when they are "exposed stirrup leathers" or on the outside of the fenders, the only difference in length is that the stirrup leather wraps around the stirrup bolt and the "leg of the fender" or sometimes called the "turn-back" of the fender.  In other words, there is one additional thickness of skirting under the stirrup leather as it wraps around the stirrup bolt (nothing changes as the leathers wrap around the tree).  Assuming the thickness of the fender leg is about 13/14 ounce, this will add 5/8" to the length of the stirrup leather.  That's the same distance I move the fender up on the stirrup leather when attaching the top of the fender to stirrup leathers when the leathers are on the inside. 

I actually don't even factor the additional 5/8" into the length of exposed stirrup leathers since their length is approximate and should always be longer than needed by several inches, so 5/8" is splitting hairs.   In general, stirrup leather length should be in proportion to the fender length.  You can find charts to approximate fender and stirrup leather length needed for a given rider's inseam.  For example,  for a tall rider (me) with a 34" inseam you could select a 20" fender with a 64" stirrup leather for Blevins type buckles.  Obviously that won't work for a 5' 4" rider as you won't be able to pull the finder up far enough into the saddle.  Likewise you don't want 64" stirrup leathers hanging down below the stirrups if the saddle has 17" fenders for the shorter rider; If you ever pulled the stirrup leathers and fenders down far enough to use the last holes of the 64" leathers, the top of the fender attachment would be exposed below the seat jockey and it would be pinching your leg.  One size does not fit all!

Speaking of stirrup leather length, I think it's important to pre-stretch them before final cutting and especially before punching buckle holes.  I did an article on this in the Nov/Dec 2019 volume of the Leather Crafters & Saddlers Journal.  IMO and experience, If you don't pre-stretch, it is likely that the leathers will be significantly uneven after long use and the holes will be difficult to align with the buckles.

Do you happen to have a link to the article?

Sorry for the delay guys 

Thanks for the information