Tbosen

Landis #3 lubrication

Hello,

I am new to this forum and have a Landis #3. I just got my stitch skipping problem fixed thanks to this forum and now I’m looking for input on what you all use to lubricate these old machines. I have seen what looks like grease on some parts and just regular sewing oil in some other parts.  Thank you in advance.

My McKay 77 seems to like a combination of 30w Synthetic motor oil and sewing machine or mineral oil.  I also use it on a seldom used Landis K12 as well.  They both set for periods between high usage.  The synth oil doesn't seem to get slung(sp? slinged?) around as much.  And yes, grease... fill the cups and thinly on the bearing and ride surfaces.  I have a lot of HS red synthetic we used in motor generators that doesn't cake up like the old stuff does.  It's probably way over-kill but it works and has lasted well for the last 10-20 years.  I'm in the SE U.S..... when humidity+dust=rust... grease is a must (and yes I know there are products made for rust prevention but this is a lube question)

Ole south,

Thanks for the input. I’ll get some grease on the ol machine today. I’m in Utah so the humidity is not a worry for me here luckily. 

44 minutes ago, Tbosen said:

Ole south,

Thanks for the input. I’ll get some grease on the ol machine today. I’m in Utah so the humidity is not a worry for me here luckily. 

I would recommend only using sewing machine oil on the top part of it as all motor oils have additives in them that will stain your leather if it splatters on it.Standard sewing machine oil is a clear mineral oil w/o any additives & doesn't stain.You could lube the rollers & cams underneath with motor oil or a mixture it won't hurt, BUT don't ever use grease anywhere in this machine.

CowboyBob,

That’s a great point about the splashing and getting on my leather I did not think about this. Could you explain further why grease would be a bad? I just see a lot of metal on metal contact on the under gears and moving parts where I would think grease would be good and last longer; rather than the oil running off. This is just my ignorant thought and am in no way saying you are wrong. I am just trying to learn as much as I can and would love a further explanation. I love this machine and want it to last me forever so what ever is best for the machine I will do. Thanks. 

Grease dries up overtime & there's rollers in the cams which the grease can pile up on & stop a roller from turning & will eventually wear a flat spot into it..Only grease gears. Also only oil can get into the inside of a roller.

CowboyBob,

Perfect that makes sense. I appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me. It helps me learn more about this machine and maybe one day I can pass the information on. That is why I love these forums.