curlywolfe

31 15 Singer

Thanks to the advice and help of members here, I picked up a 1920 31 15 in excellent condition. This machine sews great, but has a clutch motor the size of a large water melon, just a bit too much pressure and it takes of like a rocket. I am looking at several servo motors to replace it with, Goldstar, Toledo Ind  and ConSew. They are all about the same price, look the same, seem to be the same motor, 550 w 3/4 hp Thanks for any advice or experience with any of these motors

Edited by curlywolfe
left out info

I have a 1920s Singer 31-15 also. Right now it is sitting on the floor in my shop. But, when I had a table for it I had it hooked up to a Family Sew servo motor, fitted with the smallest pulley they had (45 or 50mm). That table was sold along with a Singer 111w151 machine that shared the table with the 31-15.

Things I learned about the 1920s versions of the 31-15 include the following...

• This model works best on broadcloth, or thin chrome tan leather, plus thin wallet interiors.
  • It doesn't do so well on slippery materials.
  • It is a true tailors' machine. My Dad owned one for 50 years in his tailor shop.
  • The early versions from the 1920s have a fixed, pinned shuttle driver, making timing alterations very difficult. I have that model ;-(
  • It is meant for small thread, like #69. It stumbles with #92 or above. I'm told that newer models can be tweaked to use #92 or even #138 thread.
  • It must be well oiled before use. The oil leaks everywhere, so I kept a rag close to it.
  • The machine takes all manner of special function presser feet.
  • There are 4 different feed dog/throat plate combinations available.
  • One combination is a flip up roller foot, with an inline feed dog and matching one row throat plate.
  • It uses class 15 bobbins which are found everywhere sewing machine parts are sold.
  • It uses the common tailoring machine System DBx1 needles, aka: Systems 16x257 and 1738
  • It is the industrial relative of the ancient domestic Singer 15-88 treadle machine, but with a clutch motor.
  • It will last over a hundred years if properly cared for.
  • Parts are available to this day.
  • These machines can often be bought for $200 and less, in good working condition, on a table, with a clutch motor and spare parts.
  • Finally, the Singer 31-15 is a quiet machine. I have a room full of walking foot machines and when I ran my 31-15, it was almost like zizzzz sound, compared to tapokita tapokita.