vonL

Singer 111w153 - knocking sound

Hi all!

My singer 111w153 has developed a knocking sound when sewing.

It seems like material thickness is what's causing the knock, as it nearly dissapears when sewing thin stuff.

I think the knock is coming from the horizontal shaft in the machine arm, maybe where it's connected to the outer foot rocking mechanism, but i am not certain of this.

It's been sitting unused for a couple of months, until last week. I am sewing a carvers apron in medium to heavy cotton canvas, roughly 5mm thick when hemming double folded edges. Neck strap and chest panel is 1.8mm soft tempered vegtan, sewn flat against a single layer of canvas.

I am using correct needles, and #92 thread, machine is well oiled.

Can try to post a video this weekend.

I dont know, it did not cross my mind to check, will give it a go tonight.

It sews fine, no problems. I am hoping to figure ut out before something breaks

What point in the needle’s movement does the noise happen?

Almost exactly on the needle's upward movement, regardless of stitch length, but without a doubt affected by material thickness. At first I thought it had something to do with timing, or the hook or bottom thread, but when sewing with the coverplate open everything seems fine. Mysterious....

Have you checked the basket/hook retaining set screw?

Edited by Ole South
addition

Could your presser foot pressure be too light and the material is being lifted up off the plate and falling down as the needle pulls out of the material?   

If not that, it’s hard to picture which linkages might be binding, but I’d be tempted to to take the cover off, put the needle at the point things are binding and try to pass a slip of paper between the various bits in there.

Here is a short clip of what's going on. The canvas is 4 layers thick on both edges of the piece, 2 layers in the middle. Notice how the knock fades and is more or less gone when I'm sewing in the middle.

The canvas I'm using is quite soft, I'd say it is comparable to 14oz denim in thickness. I think my singer 201k or any decent commercial sewing machine would have no trouble going through this with a #18 needle and high rpms.

I'll do some investigating this weekend, and post my results 

I experienced something similar while trying to optimize the presser foot lift on a 111w155. (Never quite made it to 1/2inch but that's a different story). Inner and outer foot leverage/pivot off each other to lift. To quick test if this may be an issue in your case: slide a strip of 3-5 oz leather(like a strap)under JUST the outer foot (one side is all you need to test this) and let it "walk higher" than the inner presser foot(which now is the only foot touching your canvas). 

My w155 is 1954-56 and was a parts machine when I got it.  And yes... I have to re-set up the machine when switching from leather to canvas/jeans material. (I have always attributed this to my attempts to maximize/meet original specs)

Edited by Ole South
clarification

How come You have to set your machine up when You go from leather to canvas/denim? Slack/worn parts leading to it not meeting factory specs?

No, at near full lift, which is about 7/16"  this old guy gets picky (if you're looking for "Perfect") at 3/8" lift he's way more forgiving. New hook, rebuilt upper tension assy, new timing belt, gear lash w/in specs... perhaps someone swapped a part (I found at least one) from a lower w15x machine that I haven't found... who knows *shrug* .  "Changing setup" is going from laminated leather strap-work to a single or double layer of canvas.

The knocking sounds may come from a loose connection or play in the feed eccentric mechanism. If the feed eccentric is not adjusted to be snug, parts may shift against each other as they turn, creating a clicking or knocking sound. I’d recommend inspecting the feed eccentric on the underside of the machine to see if there’s any play in mechanism. The feed eccentric has adjustment screw that allow you to make the movement snug and smooth.

Here’s a video that shows how you can adjust the eccentric assembly to make it snug:

Here’s a video that shows that assembly by itself and how it can create clicking or knocking noises, essentially the same info as above: