Dunluce

Sketchup Question

I recently thought I would have a go at designing a template or two using software. I downloaded the free version of Sketchup and found it relatively easy to use (quite a bit quicker than using a pencil and ruler). The problem I have is that when I export my design as a .pdf and print it, it is coming out quite a bit bigger than my design. I have checked my printer settings and I am printing off at 'actual size'. Anyone got any ideas?

I don't know if it will work as I have no *.pdf sketches to check with . . . but Microsoft Publisher usually prints very close to the rulers on the top and bottom . . . and by grabbing the object and pulling it or compressing it on the page . . . I would think it would work for you.

May God bless,

Dwight

1 hour ago, Dunluce said:

I recently thought I would have a go at designing a template or two using software. I downloaded the free version of Sketchup and found it relatively easy to use (quite a bit quicker than using a pencil and ruler). The problem I have is that when I export my design as a .pdf and print it, it is coming out quite a bit bigger than my design. I have checked my printer settings and I am printing off at 'actual size'. Anyone got any ideas?

lol that's the part that's not quicker than a pencil and why I don't use cad  programs anymore. But I don't do super complicated products and don't use machinery that needs drawing data.. I wish you all the luck. You may be able to change the size in the printer program to get what you want. That is how i resize my copies.  I usually draw my templates then scan them so they come out right and to save them but i always have the hard copy pattern as that is really what you need.

It's just a matter of figuring out how to print from the specific program you are using.  You only have to figure it out once and then it's the same conversion for everything you print.

Hang in there.  Sketching in a CAD program, once you learn it, is faster and much more accurate than sketching by hand.

I believe if you had the paid version the sizing works itself out. It's one way of getting you to pony up the money.

14 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

I believe if you had the paid version the sizing works itself out. It's one way of getting you to pony up the money.

If the sizing doesn't work out in the free version it probably doesn't work in the paid version either.  This sizing/printing thing is very common in CAD programs.  All it takes is either figuring it out for yourself or Googling it.  I taught CAD at the university level for 10 years and I never encountered the issue you are speculating on in any CAD program.

Yes, the free versions lack some of the bells and whistles of the paid versions but I doubt there is any difference in the sizing/printing aspect.  

Ah, see I was figuring that was the issue @sbrownn because I've used CATIA, ProE, ProM, AutoCAD, and a few others and never had issues but they were all paid versions. I've also had an IT dept supporting those high dollar seats too ensuring that we didn't have issues. I've only ever used SketchUp free and its the only one I've had issues with getting to print right. Google and Trimble versions, both free and neither would print right. I got close a few times but as soon as you move the model its back to the drawing board quite literally.