okiwen

Clicker press inquiry

So, I have been casually in the market for at least an 8 ton press for a while.  Weaver is out of stock and has been.  The 4 ton press from Springfield looks amazingly like the 4 ton from Weaver?  Differences?

I am looking for other companies that have presses in stock and experiences with quality and service?  Thank you.

Does Weaver even make there own clicker presses?

Springfield does carry the same 4 ton clicker from weaver. If you look at the listing it shows their name on the clicker. I doubt they actually make the machine themselves,. 

Whoever makes it most likely customizes it with the logo for the customer. 

Springfield carries a Craftplus clicker that states up to 4 tons at 799.00. This is a new item they started to carry. They have a YT video where they are using it . If your not doing huge , huge business it would work for most of us on the forum. The video is DIY earrings with Liz. They demo it with veg tan stacked pretty thick, I cant remember the oz. they used but I think it was over 10 oz. I hope this helps.

Rleather. Thank you.  They told me today that it is slightly different.  Made foreign, as is Weavers.  Too bad they don't have one that is line the 8 ton.  Really what I'm after.  Both Weaver and SLC are out of stock.

Edited by okiwen

I believe Weaver Leather manufactures their own clicker press (as well as all their Master Tools)  and is made right in Ohio.

19 minutes ago, keplerts said:

I believe Weaver Leather manufactures their own clicker press (as well as all their Master Tools)  and is made right in Ohio.

Interesting.  Thank you. That would be cool if true.  I'll ask.

Just spoke to Weaver a few minutes ago, they do make all their stuff in house. I am looking at the Little wonder for rivets and other stuff

Personally, I always recommend the Lucris MA III over the Weaver. It's better built and comparable in price. The originals are built in Australia and available through Henry Veenhoven in Canada. Buckleguy and others carry a chinese clone.

Not sure why this TWO YEAR OLD question popped up again, but two years later, I STILL think that Weaver press (and similar) is vastly overpriced.  Not worth the money.  

If you're doing 10 pieces, cut them out with a knife.  If you're doing hundreds, get a REAL clicker.

Another option is to send your die to Springfield Leather and they will click out pieces from the leather of your choice as you need them.  They have quite a collection of customers' dies on hand.  Weaver may offer a similar service.  

Weighing in with strictly my own experience. I never was a volume business. Other than coasters my wife still does we never had need for 100s of pieces at a time, but had dies to make what I needed uniform. 

There was a 12 inch round platen hand press with about a three foot handle. Had one for about 6 months. Worked good but as I remember close to 200 pounds and not portable.  That handle stuck out and was a head knocker working in the old 8x16 shop. Lot of leverage and worked easily. 

One more vote for the Lucris MA III as far as a precision and  durable tool. They seem to be the first of this smaller style I recall. I've had one and they do work well. For smaller dies I don't know of anyone that hasn't liked them. The retail on them was around $1100 at one time. I'd take another if it came my way.

Weaver 4 ton - nice, durable, and good as well. I haven't had one but have played with them. I'd would take one in  a good deal if I could too. The Lucris or Weaver - pull the handle one time, you're done.

What do I use? started with a 20 ton floor version shop press with a steel plate/LDPE cutting board set on the cross bars and a steel plates to cover the die. hand cranked and realistically all I needed. The press was a couple hundred at an industrial supplier and the steel plates were scrap cutoffs traded at the steel yard for a case of Bud Light. Go in about 4:45 for best luck on those deals. Three pumps cut through most skirting. Realistically was pretty fast to use and a cheap set up. Texas Custom Dies sells one ready to go with plates. 

I got a Weaver hydraulic bench press with the attachable plates in a tool deal. It had been converted  to an air over hydraulic jack. Handy handy handy. Hook it up to the compressor and go. No pumping and while not quite as fast, very efficient and works well. I'm not sure what the Weaver price is now (used to be around $450 but we know what steel and manufacturing costs have done). Those bench presses are pretty common from other suppliers and plates can made fairly inexpensively. My wife liked the bench one better and my son auctioned the 20 ton for what I paid for it. She clicks out coasters and 1 click out 4" rounds I glue up and turn for tool edge sharpeners.

We run a cnc cutter and two 25 ton atoms in the shop and I still use my little Lucris everyday. Great for wallet parts, coasters, dee ring components etc. It's also a good spot to stick a new employee until they get comfortable with the process. They're also a great option for smaller lexan dies that are highly accurate but delicate to say the least.

Also,  I don't agree with the notion that these little presses are a waste of money and I'd point out that bringing in a hydraulic clicker is prohibitive to most hobbyists for more reasons than I can count.