fredk

Opinions on books sought

I have a voucher to buy some books on Amazon so I thought I might some leatherwork books.

I already have several book shelves full of many of the common and not so common books

What are the collective's opinions on this book from Tony & Kay Laier?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1497203465/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_8?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

or this one (not via Amazon tho)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Leather-Craft-Handbook-by-Tony-and-Kay-Laier/353112101104

or suggestions for other books?

I find that so many books have between 1/3rd and 2/3rd of the book devoted to tools and types of leather and so little about any work or of 'projects'.

I have enough of those books.

I want books which assume I know all that and just get right to the working

On 3/20/2021 at 11:56 PM, fredk said:

I want books which assume I know all that and just get right to the working

I would have thought that the ' Al Stohlman' books  would fit into that category? 

While there are AS books for the beginners, but theres also books for the advanced leather worker. :dunno: 

HS 

2 hours ago, Handstitched said:

I would have thought that the ' Al Stohlman' books  would fit into that category? 

While there are AS books for the beginners, but theres also books for the advanced leather worker. :dunno: 

I have just about all the AS books I want or need

Um..... forgive me for being a bit of a dunce,as I am a little confused,  but ...if you have all the AS books you need , and no doubt many others,  why would you need any more leatherwork books ? Unless  the books you have stated have patterns you don't have?  

You wouldn't prefer a good mystery or a thriller ?  :) or perhaps a fairytale?   a  sewing machine repair/  parts/ service manual would fall right into those categories  :) 

" Once upon a time in ' Far Away Land'   there was a lonely abandoned  Singer 132K6  in need of TLC ..."    :rofl:

HS 

I have about 3000 books covering many subjects. A lot of my books are in easily accessible storage in two places. My books have have their own postcodes

A sewing machine book is on my ready-to buy list

Tony Laier has a reputation on carving and tooling. As I do very, very little of that good instruction type books would be a nice addition to my library.

Plus, if there are new decent books out there I'd like to know

1 hour ago, fredk said:

I have about 3000 books covering many subjects. A lot of my books are in easily accessible storage in two places. My books have have their own postcodes

A sewing machine book is on my ready-to buy list

Tony Laier has a reputation on carving and tooling. As I do very, very little of that good instruction type books would be a nice addition to my library.

Plus, if there are new decent books out there I'd like to know

i have totes full of every kind of craft or art book imaginable I love em! AS for your question i have not read those and was looking for a review or something when i found this site you might like also. There are a few books  i haven't seen. https://leathercraftersjournal.com/product-category/books/

It might be nice to have a book review section or thread here somewhere lol.

Think I might have a look at Nigel Armitage (a.k.a. @dangerous beans here).

Thanks for the responses so far

@fredk I found a book you might like , if you can find it on Amazon:

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/86967-edward-h-bohlin/?tab=comments#comment-592783

' Saddle Maker to the Stars'  Ed Bohlin , by James Nottage. I have a great appreciation for all of the books  I have collected over the years, they have taught me so much, patterns, ' how to '  etc.  but this  book blew my mind , one of my prized books. 

HS 

8 hours ago, Handstitched said:

@fredk I found a book you might like , if you can find it on Amazon:

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/86967-edward-h-bohlin/?tab=comments#comment-592783

' Saddle Maker to the Stars'  Ed Bohlin , by James Nottage. I have a great appreciation for all of the books  I have collected over the years, they have taught me so much, patterns, ' how to '  etc.  but this  book blew my mind , one of my prized books. 

HS 

Thanks. I'll look it out

edit; oh kaaay, I'll give that one a miss for now. Prices start at about £500 up to about £2500

Edited by fredk

@fredk:jawdropper: What ??? Holy boot patcher Batman !!!!! Are you serious??

I only paid $10 for mine at a  local market. It 's also signed by the author  James Nottage  on the inside.  I wonder what thats worth now??

Edit: 

Holy Moly , you're right,  I just checked, I wonder if mine is considered ' collectable'?

HS

Edited by Handstitched

@Northmount   I had a look, thats incredible .  $460 US  would equate to around $600- Australian . Perhaps I should tell the vendor how much the book that he sold for $10 is actually worth....now

.....mmmmnah !!!  :)  I would never sell it anyway . I'm just in awe of the beauty of the saddles Ed Bohlin  created. But they must be so heavy on the poor ol' horses back . 

I've had a few experiences like that in the past, sellers not actually knowing what items are really  worth. 

HS

10 hours ago, Handstitched said:

I had a look, thats incredible .  $460 US  would equate to around $600- Australian

Looks like the link didn't give you the best results. 

image.png

I just took Get Started in Leather Crafting: Step-by-Step Techniques and Tips for Crafting Success back to the library.

I'm a beginner, and found it a little... basic.  Nice pictures, though.

If you have a Kindle (or the app on your phone/tablet) I would download the sample before buying. 

@Northmount @fredk I saw that same vendor at my regular market at the weekend, I was soooo tempted to tell him  the value of the Ed Bohlin book that he sold me, but I weakened , I didn't have the heart to tell him. Not sure if I should . 

I do have a bit if a grudge against him though  , some years ago, he was next to us at a market,   our stall got damaged during some wild weather one year,  a table went over nearly injuring my Mother,  and a lot of my stock ended up on the ground, but he never lifted a finger to help* .   

* Its good etiquette ( and good karma)  to help each other at markets, especially newbies. 

I'm now looking at ways to best store the book, knowing its value, now. 

HS

1 hour ago, Handstitched said:

I'm now looking at ways to best store the book, knowing its value, now. 

On a book shelf with lots of cousins and read occasionally. Thats what it was born for

Thank you. Perhaps I should have  phrased that a bit better  :) My workshop can get a bit messy and dusty, and a bit cluttered , despite my best efforts to keep it clean.

HS 

4 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Thank you. Perhaps I should have  phrased that a bit better  :) My workshop can get a bit messy and dusty, and a bit cluttered , despite my best efforts to keep it clean.

HS 

we store our collectable books in a gallon baggie with a desiccant pouch. 

19 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

we store our collectable books in a gallon baggie with a desiccant pouch. 

I had to google that name :blush:  we call them ' clip seal bags' , but thats a great idea .   One other idea I had in mind was an archive box/file thingy, I might combine both ideas  :) . I know it sounds over the top, but this is my fave book and I don't want anything to happen to it. I've had some old leather  books damaged in the past, so you can understand my added caution . 

Thanks 

HS 

Edited by Handstitched

On 5/6/2021 at 1:22 AM, Handstitched said:

I had to google that name :blush:  we call them ' clip seal bags' , but thats a great idea .   One other idea I had in mind was an archive box/file thingy, I might combine both ideas  :) . I know it sounds over the top, but this is my fave book and I don't want anything to happen to it. I've had some old leather  books damaged in the past, so you can understand my added caution . 

Thanks 

HS 

lol I forget the global village we now live in, i forget to look at where folks are located.  Baggie is a company that makes resealable sandwich or food storage bags. Here we have freezer bags ,sandwich bags, double seal bags, zip lock , really an endless variety to choose from and why I don't have a clue. I use the double seal freezer type they are thickest. We have some books dating in the 1800s that we have kept for years this way, some on a shelf some in plastic totes for added protection.