ButtonLady

Big changes for Swarovski = bad news for you (!)

From my supplier:

As you may already know, Swarovski’s business model is evolving.  They will be reserving the name "Swarovski" solely for their own line of jewelry and giftware.

Starting October 1, 2021 you may NOT mention the Swarovski brand when selling finished products embellished with Swarovski crystals.  Period.  You can still use their crystals in your products, but may NOT say "made with genuine Swarovski crystals" anymore.

Retail markets like DIY and nail salons will be eliminated entirely.  Swarovski’s new distribution model will "focus on the protection of the Swarovski brand assets and is therefore designed for wholesale customers, manufacturers, and application centers."  If you're selling to end users, you may NOT use the Swarovski name after September.

A lot of distributors (like mine) are dropping Swarovski entirely in favor of other fine crystal brands like Preciosa.

Does that mean Swarovski is hiring lawyers to troll the internet in search of errant Etsy sellers?  Who knows... maybe?

Standard Rivet has already removed "Swarovski" from their "Bling in the Ring" rhinestone spot description.  Don't know if they switched to another brand.

Is it worth paying extra for Swarovski if you can't actually tell anyone it's Swarovski?

The only use I have for Swarovski is their rifle scopes.

53 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

The only use I have for Swarovski is their rifle scopes.

Swarovski Optik will be absorbed into the new streamlined Swarovski company.  Doesn't look like Optik products will really change, if at all.  The big news is that various decorative crystal divisions will be consolidated, and less profitable products and markets will be dumped.

My apologies for not making that clear.  I'm a little fixated on shiny things right now...

I understand where you are coming from. But my leatherwork takes a backseat to my shooting and hunting. Truth to be told, I didn't know they did anything BUT optics until 6-7 months ago.

3 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

Truth to be told, I didn't know they did anything BUT optics until 6-7 months ago.

Until yesterday, I didn't know they made anything but rhinestones.  Duh... :rolleyes2:  I have since learned they also make (in addition to scopes) binoculars, telescopes, jewelers loupes, and camera lenses.

How is that legal?

You resell gasoline but not allowed to say that word? Call it "petroleum fuel" going forward.

You resell 3M scotch tape but not allowed to say that? Call it "adhesive tape" going forward.

How can they forbid a reseller to tell the customer what the heck they are buying?

Yep, I see some lawsuits around the issue of "I paid high dollar for Swarovski so I could sell my products advertised as having Swarovski.  Now I can no longer charge the premium that I paid for your products.  Give me back my $$."

YinTx

Any person with a functioning brain cell would realize that is free and very good advertising for them. i wouldn't call that brain fart "evolving" lol.

Such behavior is typical for a newly-hired CEO whose goal is to raid and bankrupt the company. Me breaks out popcorn.

I think this is not really too new

Swarovski do a range of wee glass animals. They are very, very expensive. I knew people who collected them. Then one day, ok, really, over a short time the word 'Swarovski' was removed from the description. No longer a 'Swarovski' crystal glass (name of animal). They became just a 'Crystal glass (name of animal) and the shop in Dungannon which sold these animals got a visit from an aggressive Swarovski rep who removed all the Swarovski signs and told the shop owner in the strongest terms not sell the animals using the brand name again. This was nigh on 25 years ago

Is it likely they are reacting to a large counterfeit problem for their products?