bigsig11010

Still having same problem please help

Seiko stw8/consew 225 that my prior questions have been about. 

I decided to try different materials thread and needle. While I wait on 135x16 size 24 and 25 to arrive.  

So I have size 92 bonded nylon thread with 135x17 size 18 needle and 4 layers of canvas. 

Same issue Im having on leather. The bottom is really loose and not pulling into the material. 

20210321_151939_copy_745x994.jpg

20210321_151900_copy_749x999.jpg

Additional pic

20210321_151838_copy_798x1064.jpg

You're all the wrong way round. If the brown is the underside either the top tension is too loose or the bottom tension is too tight. When adjusting the top tension only a turn or two at a time. Sometimes just a half turn will make the difference.

Yes the brown is the bottom or underside on this piece. 

thank you 

I like a size 19 or 20 with 92 weight thread.  Increase upper tension or investigate if your tension assembly is worn out.

I've had tension discs on older machines that literally had grooves worn in them.  To the point that no adjusting would produce adequate upper tension.  If that's the case, replace the upper tension assembly.

Remove the bobbin case.  There should be two tiny screws and a semicircular retainer.  Check for work or bent tension tab.  Replace bobbin case as needed.  If everything looks good on the bobbin case, try decreasing bobbin tension.

I keep my bottom tension mainly fairly low and usually I only adjust top tension when needed and when I need a tighter stitch I add more bottom tension and then more top tension. But I almost never touch the bottom tension.

Are you using a knee lifter or foot lifter pedal and you - for what ever reason - rest your foot on the pedal or touch the knee lifter with your knee while sewing? That could cause the top tension release and thread knots appear on the bottom side.

But I rather guess the needle size is too small. Maybe you got your needle thread combination form a chart you found online. The needle / thread charts you find here and there on the www may differ a bit and they are rules of thumb or are based on experience but they can differ. There is no rule that suits for all sewing situations the charts are usually recommendations and not hewn in stone.

Thanks to everyone who took time to reply

1 hour ago, bigsig11010 said:

Thanks to everyone who took time to reply

That's how we roll here.

Ok im wondering if should have just stayed on original thread so the progress or lack off could be tracked but. 

Back to leather set up. 138 on top 92 on bobbin. Size 23 needle. 

Stitches all janked up and it.looks like the thread is unraveling at the needle. 

Im very frustrated and things just arnt getting better. 

20210323_212027_copy_300x401.jpg

20210323_212032_copy_300x401.jpg

Issue with thread unraveling at needle

20210323_211600_copy_300x401.jpg

The needle has to be inserted with the long channel on the left and the shorter scarf on the right, The thread has to be inserted from left to right.

I will double double check but I’m almost certain the needle is in as described and thread is left to right but I will check again

3 hours ago, toxo said:

The needle has to be inserted with the long channel on the left and the shorter scarf on the right, The thread has to be inserted from left to right.

I agree the needle is inserted and threaded wrong.

kgg

Long groove is on left side and thread is from left to right. 

20210324_201158_copy_427x320.jpg

20210324_201146_copy_427x320.jpg

What brand of white thread is this on top?  

The top thread is ratty and will come apart as you sew. I wonder if it has a right twist instead of the recommended left twist?

2 things I noticed. 1st is it possible that the foot is a piping foot and 2nd to me it looks like the needle hole in the inner foot is too small for the needle and the thread. I´d try a standard foot set with wide enough needle hole. Just a guess.

This is the label on the light color thread and the needle. Ill get more pics of foot. 

20210323_212128_copy_296x396.jpg

20210323_212041_copy_396x296.jpg

Im trying to learn the parts and different types of feet but I dont have enough knowledge yet to identify the different feet yet. 

20210325_072258_copy_304x407.jpg

The skipped stitches in the leather combined with roughed up thread have me wondering if there is damage to the point of the hook and/or the gap between hook and needle is too wide.  It would help if we had a close up photo of the point of the hook as well as a close up of the hook as it is lined up with the needle (without thread).  

You're getting closer to figuring this out - hang in there.   

That thread is never going to sew consistently. In fact I've never seen bonded nylon that looks like that. Maybe you're winding it on the bobbin in a strange way or someone switched labels on you.

If the tornados don’t get me I’ll post more pics after lunch. Don’t have time to move machine to basement. Lol

59 minutes ago, toxo said:

That thread is never going to sew consistently. In fact I've never seen bonded nylon that looks like that. Maybe you're winding it on the bobbin in a strange way or someone switched labels on you.

Aren't those pictures of the upper thread?  I agree it looks terrible.

You're right, sbrownn, that's the upper thread. The lower thread is black

Im not sure exactly what angle or position to show but ill start with these. 

20210325_154622_copy_404x303.jpg

20210325_154539_copy_303x404.jpg

It is contacting the needle looks like hitting right at the top of the thread hole in the needle. Gonna take needle out to compare but looks like has actually nicked a spot on the needle. 

20210325_155515_copy_1024x768.jpg

20210325_155524_copy_1024x768.jpg