I'm new to leatherworking. I recently purchased a 2-3oz half cowhide from Tandy but the leather arrived with a lot of cracks on the back. I had previously purchased a 5-6oz half cowhide that was stiff/dry but didn't have this cracking issue. Is this amount of cracking just in the nature of the lighter leather or should I message Tandy and file a complaint? If it is just in the nature of the product, what can I do to fix the cracking so that my projects aren't filled with these ugly lines? Here's a photo of the cracking:

81ZuSfU.jpg

2 hours ago, ThatTallChick said:

I recently purchased a 2-3oz half cowhide from Tandy but the leather arrived with a lot of cracks on the back.

When you buy leather online, it is always a bit of a gamble. I would contact Tandy to see how to return this "very low quality" side.

7 minutes ago, LatigoAmigo said:

When you buy leather online, it is always a bit of a gamble. I would contact Tandy to see how to return this "very low quality" side.

Thank you! I had heard this was often the case but unfortunately we don't have a leather supply store where I am located. I'll definitely reach out to Tandy; I just figured I should make sure this isn't "normal" before asking them to fix the issue. 

Yeah, that is unfortunately not normal...they should've never let that leave their store. That is fine for a demo piece where folks can try out stamps or a swivel knife in store but to let that get into the customer's hands as a representative sample of what they sell, not so much. Sadly though, it's typical for Tandy. Some folks on here will hate on what I just said but I find it more reliable that Tandy will sell you bad crap ESPECIALLY if you are doing it online. In many cases they are the only game in town and they prey on folks who are not aware that there is better.

My advice is to avoid buying leather from Tandy. I occasionally buy suede from them but not leather anymore. It's a crapshoot. The quality is all over. I buy some tools and hardware from Tandy, as well as Fiebing's supplies, but not leather. I get my leather from Rocky Mountain Leather supply (yeah, you'll have to pay duties), or from Lonsdale Leather in Vancouver: never had an issue with either.