Bee

Stripped couch

My mom was throwing way her leather couch and I just couldn't let the leather go with it. It is super nice 3-4oz and for a couch that's almost 15 years old, it's an amazing shape. So my question is, what is the best way to clean it considering over the years there have been pets and a short time of indoor smoking cigarettes? I would like to get it as clean as possible so I can repurpose it.

IMG_20210320_124755_01.jpg

Hi there.  I see you as a new member.  Welcome to the forum! 

LOL!  I have my easy chair that will be replaced soon (hopefully as a fathers day gift).  I was thinking about how I could strip off some nice pieces of leather to make linings and such.  I am not the best person to tell you about any cleaning methods but whatever you try, take a small sample piece to check out before you commit!  That said, I've ran across several threads of some super knowledgeable folks who will probably chime in.     

cheers!

EDIT:  did a quick search using "cleaning methods"   (quotes included) and saw lots of good information you can use!  

Edited by JayEhl
additional info

I had a leather covered armchair that was worn and battered, so I salvaged the leather and scrapped the carcass 

I unpicked any stitching, flattened out the leather and wiped it over with a rag dampened with white spirit (that's the British term for mineral thinners) to remove any old leather grease and polish, especially from the cracks & folds

Then washed it in an automatic washing machine on a gentle/low temperature/wool cycle, with a small amount of soap

I rigged up a line in my spare room and let it dry naturally indoors, which took 3 or 4 days

Some parts of the leather were too worn to be used, but there was quite a lot of good stuff, and the washing didn't appear to have done it any harm

I use it for wallet linings, but after I've made it up I give it a light treatment with leather grease

But I recommend that you try a test piece before doing the whole lot. I expect you could wash the leather by hand if you haven't got a machine 

Play around with the Search Box on Google and YouTube for Reuse/reclaim/recycle/salvage old leather furniture/jacket and so on 

Edited by zuludog

try some saddle soap on a small piece.

On 3/22/2021 at 3:49 PM, JayEhl said:

Hi there.  I see you as a new member.  Welcome to the forum! 

EDIT:  did a quick search using "cleaning methods"   (quotes included) and saw lots of good information you can use!  

Thank you for the welcome and thank you for the search tip.. I will def check it out :)

Bee did u find an answer that satisfied your cleaning need? i may be able to help if not.  iv done major repairs on leather furniture & other items