Hannamaija

Fortuna Splitting machine jam and consequent problems

Hello, 

I have had wonderful advice from the forum members previously, Matt S. was very helpful with his suggestion on a pilot motor to electric conversion for my Fortuna UA 94 12" splitter. My Frenchy electrician who had never seen a splitter in his life managed to get it in running condition. Luckily the splitter was in prime condition, as my engineering skills are below zero. However, after a few months of splitting happiness I had a jam, and since then the machine is playing up and practically waiting my move.  I think I had a bump on the band knife, as when sharpening the blade, the noise and sparkles are intermittent. Do I need a new band knife or is there a way of dressing it? Also, instead of splitting, the machine is sending uncut pieces directly to the bin, even with the thinnest setting. I think the leather is basically going under the knife! I have tried to adjust the feeder roll tension but it doesn't change the situation. I have cried over the manual, and all the nuts and bolts with their funny names make my head ache. OK, I might need check my tinder dates again, maybe there's a mechanic there, but on the other hand, I am in French countryside and we are in a lockdown so dating is off for the moment. I put my trust in you guys, hopefully you have the patience to give me some simple suggestions on what to try, and I will go through them with my Finnish machinery engineer daddy on a Whatsapp call. I really wouldn't want to ruin my machine more than I have managed already. 

7 hours ago, Keet said:

Did you deburr the edge after sharpening?

Thank you Keet for your observation. How would I do deburring the band knife? Also, I really think that the problem lies within the height of the feeder roll as the pieces of leather slip rather under the knife and direct to the bin rather than being skived. Sharpening the band knife is done by the inbuilt sharpening device....I haven't seen anywhere anything about deburring the band knife. I do deburr the bell knife on my skiver after sharpening, but I do not think it is necessary on my splitter?

7 hours ago, Keet said:

It might be the problem of wrong geometry between the blade an thed feeder like cutting edge is facing down or the hight. Saying without picture references.

Edited by Keet

On 3/25/2021 at 9:26 AM, Keet said:

It might be the problem of wrong geometry between the blade an thed feeder like cutting edge is facing down or the hight. Saying without picture references.

Thank you, I will check that. 

On 3/24/2021 at 1:44 AM, Hannamaija said:

Hello, 

I have had wonderful advice from the forum members previously, Matt S. was very helpful with his suggestion on a pilot motor to electric conversion for my Fortuna UA 94 12" splitter. My Frenchy electrician who had never seen a splitter in his life managed to get it in running condition. Luckily the splitter was in prime condition, as my engineering skills are below zero. However, after a few months of splitting happiness I had a jam, and since then the machine is playing up and practically waiting my move.  I think I had a bump on the band knife, as when sharpening the blade, the noise and sparkles are intermittent. Do I need a new band knife or is there a way of dressing it? Also, instead of splitting, the machine is sending uncut pieces directly to the bin, even with the thinnest setting. I think the leather is basically going under the knife! I have tried to adjust the feeder roll tension but it doesn't change the situation. I have cried over the manual, and all the nuts and bolts with their funny names make my head ache. OK, I might need check my tinder dates again, maybe there's a mechanic there, but on the other hand, I am in French countryside and we are in a lockdown so dating is off for the moment. I put my trust in you guys, hopefully you have the patience to give me some simple suggestions on what to try, and I will go through them with my Finnish machinery engineer daddy on a Whatsapp call. I really wouldn't want to ruin my machine more than I have managed already. 

Have you found a solution yet? I may be able to help. First make sure there are no bits of leather rubbish sticking to either of the 2 large wheels that the knife runs on as that will make the blade jump around and sharpen intermittently. Next make sure that the blade has not got any cracks through it and they can be hard to see. Turn the wheel slowly by hand and Carefully feel the top of the blade for any jumps. Where the blade is joined is often a place to watch for. There are a LOT of different things to adjust on these and sometimes a lot of knowledge is required when going from thick hard leather down to soft garment type leathers.