Dave Richardson

What is it? Buscadero holster or not?

Yeah - "buscadero" incorporates a slot for the insertion of the holster.  Acts to drop the holster (and thus the pistol) lower, which may allow for an easier draw.   That is the reason I prefer the angled wear, curved belt - long legs, short torso makes lower = better for me.  But I don't believe that one "stays up" better than the other.  My straight cut belt in my jeans holds up itself AND the pants.  Since I no longer own this type of gun, not a huge deal for me other than the way I explain it to others.  Incidentally, been a while since I made one of these.  Seen a long line of folks these days seeing $150 stuff on Amazon and wanting me to make it for that (uh, thank you no).

Josh covered the issue of curved / straight (nice belt, BTW).  I've always cut them curved, but that's more because of the way I learned than actual necessity.  

If that's a "secondary" issue, then let me hit the tertiary ...

"No butt" is almost always the direct result of sedentary life style.  Really it's just another name for muscle loss - "atrophy" for the fancy smancy folk (and at the risk of having the thread moved to like a 'fitness' section er sumthin, it's the same thing responsible for the swelling of the belly region).  SImply put, less activity results in muscle loss, and muscle loss results in less calories burned.  End result:  flat butt, not so flat belly.  Dad was one exception - that guy had NO butt his entire life.

53 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

My straight cut belt in my jeans holds up itself AND the pants. 

100% agree with that Jeff and will add that no straight cut pants (or carry) belt stays straight after it's worn for any period of time. 

And since this thread is wildly off the rails, I'll continue it's decline :) 

Here's my no longer straight pants belt after I stripped it off to help pull a calf when I was feeding the other day. I couldn't hold the legs without having my hands slip off and had to make do with what I had on me at the time. As you can see from the smile on my face, I was wildly happy with my ingenuity and the results. Maybe after this goes to the "fitness" section it can be moved to the "leather goods for veterinary services" section. 

Have a good day folks!

IMG_20210316_172809021.jpg

IMG_20210316_172817446.jpg

4 hours ago, Josh Ashman said:

Here's the finished belt, still in curve. Not a ton of curve, but enough as far as I'm concerned;

IMG_20210224_081121557.thumb.jpg.9c66c41e500f10c41196ddbd0ba7181e.jpg

That shore is purdy.

On 3/29/2021 at 11:19 AM, Josh Ashman said:

100% agree with that Jeff and will add that no straight cut pants (or carry) belt stays straight after it's worn for any period of time. 

And since this thread is wildly off the rails, I'll continue it's decline :) 

Here's my no longer straight pants belt after I stripped it off to help pull a calf when I was feeding the other day. I couldn't hold the legs without having my hands slip off and had to make do with what I had on me at the time. As you can see from the smile on my face, I was wildly happy with my ingenuity and the results. Maybe after this goes to the "fitness" section it can be moved to the "leather goods for veterinary services" section. 

Have a good day folks!

IMG_20210316_172809021.jpg

IMG_20210316_172817446.jpg

i,ve drug a couple dead elk with mine but never pulled a calf. Great job!!!

On 3/29/2021 at 9:28 AM, Josh Ashman said:

Hey guys, I'll chime in on the secondary topic of curved belts and how to make them. I think the "what makes it a buscadero" has been pretty well answered with the drop slot for holster attachment. 

I agree with Dwight that a curved cartridge belt is preferable to a straight one. However, I don't bother to cut my belt blanks on a curve because I think the hides yield better and are easier to cut straight with a strap cutter and it's easy enough to make them curve after you cut them. 

This isn't a buscarero but it works the same if it were. Leather is 10/11 HO cut @ 2-3/4" wide. (which is what I do for a tooled cartridge belt, if they aren't tooled I'll go with 2-1/2" wide).

Here is the straight cut blank before I started the 2nd session of tooling. After I took this picture I ran it through my bucket of water and let it sit and "case" for approximately 1 cup of coffee;

IMG_20210217_075226380.thumb.jpg.0c3c100131c0db4972052ab6dc705229.jpg

And here it is with some more tooling and formed into a curve. Simple as holding the leather flat on your work surface and forcing the ends up into the curve;

IMG_20210219_082124969.thumb.jpg.60f03e7cb009fbbb111f746b88e1a67f.jpg

Here's the finished belt, still in curve. Not a ton of curve, but enough as far as I'm concerned;

IMG_20210224_081121557.thumb.jpg.9c66c41e500f10c41196ddbd0ba7181e.jpg

And just for fun the finished rig complete;

IMG_20210225_075330336.thumb.jpg.fb768ad0c42712f8175b67deb6d9aed4.jpg

As always, there's more than 1 way to do something. 

All the best, Josh

IMG_20210221_075610994_BURST001.jpg

man you do nice work!

:) Thanks Chuck! As I was typing my comment about my straight cut carry/pants belts always curving I thought hat somebody would chime in about how if they curve they must not be strong enough or some such silliness so I had to share the calf pulling story and pics. Pulling an elk out with a leather belt is quite a dang chore! Hope you guys are getting some spring weather up there!

Take care, Josh 

On 3/30/2021 at 6:41 AM, fredk said:

That shore is purdy.

Funny, that was exactly what I thought, word for word!:lol:

Yeah, to me a Buscadero has a downward extension on the belt with a slot through which the skirt on the holster runs.  Some of us want "historically correct" gear and as best as I can tell the Buscadero is a Hollywood invention. Maybe first showing up around 1920.  It helps on a fast draw type situation as the gun is lower but I'm not sure how well it works if you have to ride a horse.  The holsters used in the old West were the Slim Jim/California and the Mexican Double loop.

I forgot to ask - Josh, that wrist tattoo looks like the serpentine stamp pattern you like to use. Coincidence?:lol:

14 hours ago, dikman said:

I forgot to ask - Josh, that wrist tattoo looks like the serpentine stamp pattern you like to use. Coincidence?:lol:

I like that pattern :lol: