Sign in to follow this  
WinddragonCraftworks

Tools for simple straight line pattern

Hey everyone, I'm a hobbyist bookbinder with about 10 years experience. I've used goat skin for most of my projects but I've recently been asked to do a journal with a design on the cover. The customer wants a replica of River Song's diary from Dr. Who. It's a simple enough design, but I'm completely new to tooling. 

Are there certain tools that excel at putting straight lines (two or three different sizes) into 1-2 oz. Leather? 

Thanks in advance. I'm loving this website!

Welcome to the forum! It's a great place full of helpful people and a goldmine of information. 

I did a quick Google search to find out what this journal looks like:

Diary as it looks in the TV program

So, now for some more questions:
It doesn't appear that the lines are cut in and then tooled with a beveler, although this could be done.
It appears that they are deeply embossed, with a rigid, rounded-end tool. 
It's even possible to make that design by forming the thin leather over shapes (like this person did).

And you need a vegetable tanned leather for tooling.  When properly moistened (cased), veg tan is very sensitive to impressions, even to your fingernails!

Thanks for the wisdom. I have the leather on hand that I intend to use for the project. It's a sokoto Morocco skin from Siegel leather. It's certainly the nicest leather I've ever used. I'll do some experimentation for sure before I dive into the design itself. Thanks again! 

At first glance at the image it looks more like a gold impression where they have the design embossed on a plate and then heat the plate and place a bit of a foil between the heated plate and the leather using one of these machines

Leather Heat Press Machine Hot Foil Printing Stamping Logo Embossing Bronzing | eBay