Klara

Another hello from France

Hi,

I feel I should apologise for intruding ;) I don't know whether I even want to be a leatherworker (I'll certainly never reach the skill level of some of you), I do know that my Borzoi needs collars! Collars that I can't buy locally... 

So far I have woven them (I'm a spinner, weaver, dyer with my own sheep) but I want to branch out into leather. The first collar turned out ugly, but it is functional and the dog likes it. And the total cost was zero, as I have some leather lying around that I bought ages ago for making soles for indoor slippers before I realised nobody here wanted to buy knitted slippers. The leather is probably garment leather (got scraps from a wholesaler) and I've realised that it's not what is generally used for dog collars and video tutorials don't really apply, but as the French say: "On fait ce qu'on peut avec ce qu'on a" (you do what you can with what you have).

I have an idea for the second collar (and a curve ruler, which makes all the difference) but also a question, which I will ask in the dog collar forum.

Welcome @Klara! If you’ve made a collar already then it’s too late to wonder whether you want to be a leather worker - you are one! :spoton:

Post some pictures and ask away.

Here's the first leather collar. Made with household tools (but I hadn't yet heard about using a fork to mark stitches). As I said, ugly, but Rika doesn't care... And the leather is nice and soft. 

20210326_125137.jpg

Welcome Klara.  We all start where we start and there is no shame in that because you are beginning a journey.  The collar is perfectly functional, so for that alone, it's a success.  The fact that Rita likes it is a bonus.  You have figured out how to make it with the tools you had on hand.  The next step is learning how to make it match the image in your head. 

Leather working, like most other things, is a mastery of a bunch of little things that allows you to create what you envision.  Like learning how to sharpen your tools, learning the best way for you to hold/control a tool or learning the order of steps for a project. 

You've made a fine start.  I hope you decide to continue.

And a second collar. Found (and sharpened) an awl, made a stitching pony, bought some cheap pricking irons/chisels and groover, and 3/4 around after 3 broken threads  I realised I really had to ply it. On the dog it looks okay, but I guess I need to invest in a decent tool for skiving. And I'd really like to try a French-style clam (which of course I need to make first...)20210329_122647.jpg.a2f9441cd76c99b0d79197a5eaf135ef.jpg20210329_122519.jpg.30dcc6ce3c82d6bb3f3268b7ccd92d91.jpg

20210329_122826.jpg

Howdy from Texas.  The thing about dogs is they're great about telling you how great you are and the stuff you make for them.  :)   They'll never complain and are ready to show things off.   

Welcome to the forum Klara :thumbsup:

15 hours ago, JayEhl said:

Howdy from Texas.  The thing about dogs is they're great about telling you how great you are and the stuff you make for them.  :)   They'll never complain and are ready to show things off.   

Might be true for dogs, sighthounds are more difficult. Rika does complain about collars with things hanging from them - no way she would happily wear one with tassels (which I think beautiful); she doesn't even like snap hooks. Does anybody have an idea for an alternative? The quick release and attaching of a snaphook, without the hook? I've thought about knots, but I'm very doubtful whether I'll be able to hold on to a straining 70 pounds with one hand while I  tie a knot with the other...

31 minutes ago, Klara said:

Might be true for dogs, sighthounds are more difficult. Rika does complain about collars with things hanging from them - no way she would happily wear one with tassels (which I think beautiful); she doesn't even like snap hooks. Does anybody have an idea for an alternative? The quick release and attaching of a snaphook, without the hook? I've thought about knots, but I'm very doubtful whether I'll be able to hold on to a straining 70 pounds with one hand while I  tie a knot with the other...

Welcome Klara. You're doing well so far. Maybe look at coursing dog collars like Greyhounds, lurchers etc for inspiration. They use quick release all the time.

Thanks to a mention here in the forums I've already found lure coursing collars. I think they are a brilliant idea and I just ordered the D rings to make some. But they are not for taking the dog on a walk. Well, I suppose one could, but then one would have to take off the collar to release the dog and I've learned the hard way that it's easier to grab a dog if it is wearing a collar (or harness). I have a short lead that has simply a loop at one end and I pull the other end through to attach the lead to the collar, but that is a short lead. I'm looking for a brilliant idea for leads of 3 m and more... But I think there is just no way :( guess the various snap hooks have been invented for a reason.

2 hours ago, Klara said:

Thanks to a mention here in the forums I've already found lure coursing collars. I think they are a brilliant idea and I just ordered the D rings to make some. But they are not for taking the dog on a walk. Well, I suppose one could, but then one would have to take off the collar to release the dog and I've learned the hard way that it's easier to grab a dog if it is wearing a collar (or harness). I have a short lead that has simply a loop at one end and I pull the other end through to attach the lead to the collar, but that is a short lead. I'm looking for a brilliant idea for leads of 3 m and more... But I think there is just no way :( guess the various snap hooks have been invented for a reason.

I remembered the name Pelican hook from my sailing days long ago. Might give you some inspiration.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1AOHY_enGB783GB783&q=pelican+hook&tbm=isch&chips=q:pelican+hook,g_1:quick+release:Xm_qFvuBYcc%3D&usg=AI4_-kQc_4kihO_CWqDPPJAgUaUoACQ8bg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjuoIu70NrvAhWLa8AKHRXnD9IQgIoDKAB6BAgFEAY&biw=1600&bih=813

Edited by toxo

Thanks, but that's still metal. And probably too heavy for my purposes,  if it's used on boats... I'm thinking about knots, loops, toggles (just thought of them right now, might that lead somewhere?)...

There are commercially available extending dog leads. They are made of nylon webbing with a nylon snap hook. The lead extends from 0m to 50m (and sometimes more) and can be retracted into its case automatically 

3 hours ago, Klara said:

Thanks, but that's still metal. And probably too heavy for my purposes,  if it's used on boats... I'm thinking about knots, loops, toggles (just thought of them right now, might that lead somewhere?)...

I was thinking about looking at some of the principles. Maybe they don't have to be metal. I'm not sure what you want this collar to do but off the top of my head imagine the main part of this hook to be a stiff piece of leather folded back on itself. now imagine the main leash just attached to the oval retainer. Now imagine a short length of bungee rubber attached to the eye and sewn onto the main leash in such a way as to leave an amount of slack in the main leash when the rudder is taut but not pulled. The idea being when walking the dog the rubber is taking the strain. When you want a quick release you pull on the leash, stretching the rubber enough for the main leash to slip the oval to let the dog run free. It's a bit rough but I've only just thought of it and merely offered as an example of what might be done.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZQo08ieAcyqhpxN17WWa

I'm not sure whether there is anything rubber that can hold a borzoi that wants to get away. And quick release is not the main point. But still, we might be getting somewhere... Let's imagine the (end of the) lead was a solid strip of leather. With a slit at it at the very end and a toggle sown to the leather a bit higher up. Then I could pull the slit through the ring on the collar and "button" it to the toggle. And then probably the slit would tear when the dog pulls really hard?

Maybe a button (or a knot?) at the very end of the strip of leather and a leather strip/ring around both parts of the loop (pretty much like the pelican hook)???

Thanks, toxo, you've given me ideas to think about. I'll experiment (lots of time over the next month or two, we have another lockdown) and let you know the result!

FWIW Klara the bungee idea is incorporated in many yacht mooring/anchor lines to eliminate "snatch" when the boat is dancing on the waves. it would save your arm somewhat when he's pulling. You would have to trial & error to find the strength of bungee needed to hold the dog without releasing unintentionally. Good luck and don't forget to come back and show the result with pics. We love pics on here.

There was someone who did really awesome sighthound tooled collars on here. Think they were from an Eastern Bloc country. Can anyone find it for Klara?

I believe I have seen them, I looked through most of the dog collar threads. But most tooling doesn't really appeal to me. Fortunately,  as that means that for the moment I can concentrate on cutting and sewing and possibly riveting  ;)

(That said, I am already beginning to wonder how to get a borzoi motiv on a collar, so who knows what will happen...)

And another one. I took the first one apart, kept the leather with the rings sewn on, changed its shape to that from the second, and glued some lamb nappa(?) on the outside and thin leather from my stock on the inside, with the edges folded over and glued. Then I sewed the edges together around the middle layer. The stitching is spotty because I plied and cabled some metallic goldeb thread with the red one. I wanted a golden seam around the edge, but the thread as is is far from solid enough. Oh well, if the red leather stands up to wear, I'll try something else next time...

20210406_185322.jpg

20210406_185301.jpg

20210406_185214.jpg

Slowly I'm getting there. But I feel that 6 mm padding is too much....

20210420_143429.jpg

The last one for the moment, I'm out of D-rings. It should be solid enough for everyday wear.

20210426_122952.jpg

Edited by Klara
problems with picture upload

44 minutes ago, Klara said:

The last one for the moment, I'm out of D-rings. It should be solid enough for everyday wear.

20210426_122952.jpg

By the looks of things Klara soon people will be asking you how to make these collars!

Thank you!

I can see the sign out front now.

Dog Collars 4 Sale :welcome::thumbsup: