Klara

Dog collars - always worked flat?

True, I don't see any either. Is any padding under the bison or just the leather? (And did you do the camo pattern yourself?)

16 hours ago, benlilly1 said:

This is a 1" vegtan collar and I used Bison for the padding.  Not a concern for me, no one has complained of wrinkles.

175064186_290150509346374_6656652965878346144_n.jpg

174570930_517437119418238_4809841086604440540_n.jpg

I've noticed when you add padding it shortens up the length. So I add an extra hole an inch out. It just depends on how thick the padding is. Using the Bison, I did not add foam, being that it was thick enough without.

On 4/22/2021 at 5:43 AM, Klara said:

Exactly. Which is why I was surprised by the pro's work and asked the question in the first place.

But I suppose the explanation is that most dog collars are stored and sold flat. The wrinkles only form once on the dog and then they are invisibly on the inside... But martingale collars - the only type I am currently interested in - are always round anyway. At least until I find a way of adding a buckle without removin comfort or looks...

its dependent also on the types of leather you are sewing together. I make mine out of two layers of veg tan glued and sewn flat, glued up they become one with no wrinkles but really stiff. With padding and a lighter leather yes they will wrinkle. This is a collar of two layers of  8/9 oz veg tan as you can see no wrinkles.

rosecollar2.JPG

Edited by chuck123wapati

8 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

rosecollar2.JPG

I've been making dog collars for a long time...this is an interesting design that I've never seen before 

8 hours ago, LeatherLegion said:

I've been making dog collars for a long time...this is an interesting design that I've never seen before 

yes its a slip collar i have designed for my American bullies, they are big dogs that pull like heck. 6 months old and have 17" necks, made one for their mother too she has a neck 23".

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

yes its a slip collar i have designed for my American bullies, they are big dogs that pull like heck. 6 months old and have 17" necks, made one for their mother too she has a neck 23".

So the length adjustment is for the collar to grow with the puppies?  I had wondered...

1 hour ago, Klara said:

So the length adjustment is for the collar to grow with the puppies?  I had wondered...

yes They grow fast the first few months, they are finally slowing down a bit.

Don't I know it. For a while I was worried that mine would grow taller than the standard allows. But now at 8 momths she doesn't visibly change any more.

I hope you don't mind if I copy your idea (the bit with the buckle) for a length-adjustable greyhound martingale collar? For martingale collars are great, but only if they fit exactly. 

11 hours ago, Klara said:

Don't I know it. For a while I was worried that mine would grow taller than the standard allows. But now at 8 momths she doesn't visibly change any more.

I hope you don't mind if I copy your idea (the bit with the buckle) for a length-adjustable greyhound martingale collar? For martingale collars are great, but only if they fit exactly. 

Dont mind a bit good luck and post some pictures.

Will do! Now if only the snap hooks I want came back into stock so I could place my order...