wampishing

Another Houstonian hello

Well, a bit southeast of Houston, actually, but close enough for introductions, I think. My name's RJ, I'm 32 and I'm new to the craft, having just bought my first bits and bobs from Tandy and well....Aliexpress, in November. I'd been wanting to try my hand at it properly for ages, after getting to play with a friend's tools a few years ago, and I'm glad I've taken the plunge.

I started specifically because I was interested in tooling, as I like drawing and sculpting already. I've been a bit slow about getting experience at it, though, because it took me awhile to figure out how to set myself up in my apartment in such a way that my downstairs neighbor would stop smacking on her ceiling at me all the time. Justified on her part, but a bummer for me. Finally got me some granite, a good maul that doesn't require so many hard whacks, and a few towels to stuff my hollow desk to muffle the sound, and I'm plodding towards competency now.  I'm in the process of making myself a messenger bag for my first bigger project, and have poked at making various small goods as well, and am enjoying all aspects immensely. Actually, I don't much enjoy dyeing, but I did just get an airbrush, so that helps (been meaning to for ages for painting gaming miniatures and terrain so adding leatherwork to the pile tipped me over the edge). It would be nice to get good enough to sell a couple things so I can buy some better stamps and stitching irons (every time I see a sinabrok on reddit I drool), but I'll have to just be happy with my gorgeous new maul for now (I just got it this week so I'm enamored lol).

I'm looking forward to all that I can learn from the forum!

8 hours ago, wampishing said:

Well, a bit southeast of Houston, actually, but close enough for introductions, I think. My name's RJ, I'm 32 and I'm new to the craft, having just bought my first bits and bobs from Tandy and well....Aliexpress, in November. I'd been wanting to try my hand at it properly for ages, after getting to play with a friend's tools a few years ago, and I'm glad I've taken the plunge.

I started specifically because I was interested in tooling, as I like drawing and sculpting already. I've been a bit slow about getting experience at it, though, because it took me awhile to figure out how to set myself up in my apartment in such a way that my downstairs neighbor would stop smacking on her ceiling at me all the time. Justified on her part, but a bummer for me. Finally got me some granite, a good maul that doesn't require so many hard whacks, and a few towels to stuff my hollow desk to muffle the sound, and I'm plodding towards competency now.  I'm in the process of making myself a messenger bag for my first bigger project, and have poked at making various small goods as well, and am enjoying all aspects immensely. Actually, I don't much enjoy dyeing, but I did just get an airbrush, so that helps (been meaning to for ages for painting gaming miniatures and terrain so adding leatherwork to the pile tipped me over the edge). It would be nice to get good enough to sell a couple things so I can buy some better stamps and stitching irons (every time I see a sinabrok on reddit I drool), but I'll have to just be happy with my gorgeous new maul for now (I just got it this week so I'm enamored lol).

I'm looking forward to all that I can learn from the forum!

Welcome. Get some layers of foam under that granite.

15 hours ago, Retswerb said:

Welcome aboard @wampishing! Don’t be shy, ask your questions and post pics of your work. Sounds like you’re off to a great start.

Thank you! I'll get right on it.

11 hours ago, toxo said:

Welcome. Get some layers of foam under that granite.

Thanks! Foam, huh? Mattress topper squishy stuff, or more like eva foam as in anti-fatigue mats?

2 hours ago, wampishing said:

Thank you! I'll get right on it.

Thanks! Foam, huh? Mattress topper squishy stuff, or more like eva foam as in anti-fatigue mats?

Not too squishy.. Defo not hard.

Hey there!  and welcome!  I live in Pearland.  We're probably close neighbors.  But as they say around here, Houston is just an hour away from Houston!    

Thanks! We are neighbors, then, as I'm in League City.