ozleather

Wrapping bicycle bar ends?

Hello!

I am new to leather working and wonder how would you wrap bicycle bar ends with leather? Please see the attached picture. The bar ends are not a straight rounded  tube, they are slightly deformed.

Thank you!

IMG_3013.jpg

Having done that with tape, the secret's in a good glue - and I never found one. However, having found Renia's range, I might be forced to change my opinion.

From there on in, it's simply glueing technique. I'd use the surface side down, offering the suede side for grip, pushing towards chrome tan, as it's bound to get soaked and you don't want your leather flopping as it stretches.

Use really thin leather, almost vellum weight. The tapes are 1" width, but that's up to you.

The end is finally turned inside the handle and held in place by a plastic stopper, force-fitted.

Another approach would be to treat it like a rolled handbag handle, glued and sewn lengthwise, before the edges are thinned to nothing using edge beveller chisels.

Also, since bicycles are often ridden in the rain, you might give consideration to going with a water-resistant leather such as Hermann Oak's Heritage 1881.  Springfield Leather Co. will sell it by the square foot.

https://www.springfieldleather.com/Hermann-Oak-Heritage