TomG

Holding thread for first few stitches.

Consew 227R-2
Hi all. I know to hold the top and bottom thread for the first couple of stitches when sewing to avoid birds nests. I don't know why, but I've learned to do it anyway, LOL.
My question is this. Is there a device or attachment that I can use to just loop those threads around quickly to free up my hands to guide the leather and worj the reverse lever at the same time?
I currently use a large paper clip attached to the light pole with a couple of rubber bands. Maybe something that attaches to the back of the arm that we could just loop into it quickly?
But, when I have 100+ straps to sew the edges on, it adds a considerable amount of time to the operation
Thanks

20210328_163522.jpg

2 hours ago, TomG said:

Consew 227R-2
Hi all. I know to hold the top and bottom thread for the first couple of stitches when sewing to avoid birds nests. I don't know why, but I've learned to do it anyway, LOL.
My question is this. Is there a device or attachment that I can use to just loop those threads around quickly to free up my hands to guide the leather and worj the reverse lever at the same time?
I currently use a large paper clip attached to the light pole with a couple of rubber bands. Maybe something that attaches to the back of the arm that we could just loop into it quickly?
But, when I have 100+ straps to sew the edges on, it adds a considerable amount of time to the operation
Thanks

20210328_163522.jpg

I'm no expert but I know some just trap both threads under the presser foot in the down position and don't hold it at all. Don't know if you can do it with all machines.

When I have this problem I draw out several inches of top thread, rotate the hand wheel until the take-up lever is at its highest position, lower the foot while trapping the thread, then sew. Doing this eliminates the pull on the top and doesn't jam the bobbin case. Just make sure the loose top thread is captured by the presser foot or there will be a thread jam.

Note: This may or may not work on your machine.

I use a sew off tag.Just a two inch square of material, sew item, lock off, sew onto tag, sew onto new material, lock off, sew item and so on.If its not sewing off the end of the item then the tag  is easier to hold than two loose threads.

22 minutes ago, keithski122 said:

I use a sew off tag.Just a two inch square of material, sew item, lock off, sew onto tag, sew onto new material, lock off, sew item and so on.If its not sewing off the end of the item then the tag  is easier to hold than two loose threads.

I've seen that done before. Never realised how quick and handy it would be. Nice one.