HondoMan

Rivet & Popper press search

Right then,

over the past few years I've been searching for a proper press.  I think I've physically seen one, but never used.  I've been doing so by hand.  Aye, with brass rivets and cheap poppers one must use caution.

I keep in stock rivets size 4mm through 11mm and poppers size 8, 10, 12, 14, 15 and 17mm. 

In my search I'll find a company who has a press on offer but offers fittings for half of what I need.  I would image fittings that suit one press, won't suit another.

Do any firms in the US carry a spindle or handle-down press that would suit my needs?

Thanks in advance and happy Easter.

54 minutes ago, mike02130 said:

Maybe here?  https://www.buckleguy.com/rivets/  They also sell a press and the dies.

A wee look at their website looks promising.  I'll send them an email in the morning.  Cheers!

Hi Hondoman, Try Waldes in Spain. 

11 hours ago, jimi said:

Try Waldes in Spain. 

The don't have machines on offer.  Only rivets and poppers.

The T4 model will work also, they are well made presses and they can be picked up second hand on wallapop, milanuncios or facebook marketplace, you will only need to use the top adapter which can be bought at Waldes. Here is a couple of pictures of the machines.

20200226_111259.thumb.jpg.30984ab881e3aec98426ef6ab874934c.jpg20200226_111337.thumb.jpg.6a5a35618d1c4bd28fd50a7dfcf75a40.jpg20200226_111344.thumb.jpg.5bebd56edb6fbce5b5d100f1fc6e23a5.jpg20200226_111431.thumb.jpg.24a6dfa4f08436761a5717b387e0aa7d.jpg

20200226_111437.jpg

20200226_111502.jpg

20200226_111512.jpg

20200226_111521.thumb.jpg.5742b5c004e6993973f2d6bd73c015a9.jpg

This is one of those leather mysteries that will stay such I think.  Much like the ever mystical left-handed leather tools....

Stockists have on offer, what they think sells.  I suppose.  They offer a wee press, but few fittings.  No one carries a complete set of fittings for poppers, all types of rivets and eyelets.  But in studying this, I discovered most, but not all presses have a base size of 12mm and the upper threaded part, 6,3mm.  Seems I'll have to work with that.

Found a stunning old Rodus Spindle Press, completely refurbished for 100€.  I do love old tools.  Now it will be a matter of finding proper fittings and these are scattered around the Interwebs, all over the EU.  Will take time, but such is life.  At least I have a solution.

Cheers!

1 hour ago, HondoMan said:

Found a stunning old Rodus Spindle Press, completely refurbished for 100€.  I do love old tools.

Good to hear you found something Hondoman.

I have to ask; What is a "popper"?

14 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

I have to ask; What is a "popper"?

Its what you in the colonies call a 'snap'

Here a "popper" is a yummy tidbit, a jalapeno pepper, stuffed with cream cheese, breaded, then deep fried to a golden brown. Best thing ever. Mmmmmmm

4 hours ago, fredk said:

Its what you in the colonies call a 'snap'

Aye.... mah gran referred to our cousins in the colonies as gummies.  Never knew why, til she passed.  Mah auntie told me it was due to the chewing gum.  As a wee bairn I was rather daft.

2 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

Here a "popper" is a yummy tidbit, a jalapeno pepper, stuffed with cream cheese, breaded, then deep fried to a golden brown. Best thing ever. Mmmmmmm

I would make a wee remark about the deep fried, but FFS, in my homeland, we're known to deep fry chocolate bars.  Never had one and never will.  Bawbaggery! :lol:

Edited by HondoMan

15 hours ago, HondoMan said:

Aye.... mah gran

With that accent ...you mean Grannie! :lol: