Rhale

Leather and wood working

Had someone ask about doing leatherwork and woodworking in the same room, I advised against it!  To much sawdust to get into dye, finishes, etc,  not to mention where are it gets in your sewing machines, splinters, etc.  What’s your opinion?

I do woodworking and leather work.  I went separate spaces for the reasons you listed.  I just don't have a dust collection system that will scrub the air.

i do my woodworking and knife and tool making in a one room garage for all the dirty work, when I'm not wrenching on my rides. The basement for the leather,  wood finishing and non dust stuff.

Edited by chuck123wapati

4 minutes ago, Aven said:

I do woodworking and leather work.  I went separate spaces for the reasons you listed.  I just don't have a dust collection system that will scrub the air.

i saw harbor freight had a nice little collection system for just a couple hundred bucks. 

4 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

i saw harbor freight had a nice little collection system for just a couple hundred bucks. 

I have a dust collection system.  I have a jet bag  system for the big tools.  I use a Dust Deputy with the shopvac for the smaller tools.  It works, just not well enough to keep the shop dust free.

Go to a hvac company or the county dump [my playground]  or craigs list,

you are looking for the squirrel cage [fan/motor]  out of a home heating/cooling unit

build a wood box, insert the fan into the box. use a 4''' pvc toilet flange screwed to the box with 4'' pipe routed outside

on the other end of the box. cut another4''''' hole this is the intake.  

Edited by Frodo