DaveP

How to install pull the dot snaps on knife sheath

Basically I'd like to use pull the dot snaps with my knife sheath belt loops. Question is how do you install them so they won't scratch the knife while in the sheath? I'm using 8-10 oz veg tan Wicket & Craig leather. Knives are on the small side roughly just over 5 inches overall length. Will in future be making longer knives.  Also, where's the best place to purchase them from, what tools are required?

Thanks again 

Can you post a picture of what you are doing and where you would like to place the snaps?

50 minutes ago, DaveP said:

Basically I'd like to use pull the dot snaps with my knife sheath belt loops. Question is how do you install them so they won't scratch the knife while in the sheath? I'm using 8-10 oz veg tan Wicket & Craig leather.

either a full lining piece put on after installing part of the snap, or just a small piece of thin leather cut and glued over it, for this you could lightly skive around the snap part so the glued on piece sits into the other leather a bit

I have applied a lining over the "back end" of snaps but do not recommend it.  As a rule, the snap will wear out long before the leather does, and getting the worn out snap OUT of the still usable leather goods S U C K S  (in lay terms ;) ).

Instead, ... well - other stuff.

1 hour ago, Grunt said:

Can you post a picture of what you are doing and where you would like to place the snaps?

I don't have anything currently. I was just thinking about it. Maybe something like I holster I have. But not necessarily inside the waistband. Or with a fold over sheath with the belt loop cut out with the sheath and a snap at the end where you stitch it (in red circle). 

summer-special-2 1.jpg

snap location sheath_LI.jpg

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

I have applied a lining over the "back end" of snaps but do not recommend it.  As a rule, the snap will wear out long before the leather does, and getting the worn out snap OUT of the still usable leather goods S U C K S  (in lay terms ;) ).

Instead, ... well - other stuff.

It was just out loud thinking.  What other stuff?

Hey Dave, 

Here are a few ideas you might try;

1) Glue a thin cover over the back of the snap. While I've never done this I see lots of people suggest it and it seems like it would work. 

2) Similar to above, you can buy plastic snap covers that fit onto the back piece.

3) If your leather is closer tot he 10 oz side of 8/10 you can likely get away with skiving around your snap post hole to "inset" the back piece. Anytime I set snaps in thicker leather (10/11) I do this as otherwise the posts on the backs aren't long enough. I'm not necessarily trying to get the back inset to avoid the possibility of scratching the knife (or gun or whatever), I'm just trying to get a solid attachment for the snap back, the inset is a byproduct.

4) Set the snap on a small patch of leather and sew that to the outside of your main piece. I've done this a number of times, mostly for smart phone cases. It works well and "could" be replaced if the snap back needed to be replaced. 

5) Use a T nut and a screw to attach the snap back. Set the back of the T nut flush with the back of the leather by wetting the leather, sticking the T nut through your punched hole, placing the back side on your anvil and use a flat tool (rivet setter, etc) to both "clinch" the buts on the T nut through the leather and force the back of the nut up into the leather. This is how I set T nuts and again, I'm not necessarily trying to inset the back of the T nut, it's just a side product of getting a good install and clinch on the nut. 

That's about all things I either do or have heard about that seem feasible. 

Good luck, Josh

Thank you Josh ! Lots to think about. Thanks for the information.

If I were concerned about scratching a knife blade . . . I would offset a piece of leather on the sheath . . . locate the snap there . . . and forever be free of worries.

Or . . . as I have done on a very few holsters . . .  put a decorative piece on the front of the sheath . . . locate the snap in it.  You also want to follow Josh Ashman's advice of using T nuts to hold the male snap piece.  The T nut will also hold the male snap piece better than a regular snap piece, . . . as well as making it a simple task to replace that piece in the future . . . even years from now.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

8/32 or 6/32 T nut and a matching 1/4" Flat head machine screw.  The screw type is very important or it will not set into the socket and it will interfere with the female part of the snap.  

I use 8/32 for all of mine but 6/32 might be easier to source locally.  3/8" might work if you using thicker leather.  

You can get it away from the blade entirely if you would like.  Widen the bottom of the sheath.  Punch holes for the screws.  Use the T nut to hold the strap on the back and fasten it through the snap on the front.  The wrap the strap around to the front and attach the female snap to it.  I make horizontal mag holders that wrap around the holder and belt like that.  Made one sheath that way too.