Bert03241

Glue Question

If using a water based contact cement in wet molding, will the glue degrade ? I glue my sheaths together then sew then wet mold. I don't want the glue coming apart in the wet molding process.

Experiment and find out for sure. Glue two scraps together and try it. 

5 hours ago, mike02130 said:

Experiment and find out for sure. Glue two scraps together and try it. 

There in lies the problem. I didn't want to buy any water based glue until I know it would satisfactory replace  what I'm using now. Don't want to buy something then throw it out.:no:

Are you glueing two pieces up letting it dry them soaking in water to wet form mold???

Soaking until wet through will weaken the bond.  Warm water will make it worse.  What about just dampening the two sides, then wet molding?  I find the leather in general does not need to be soaked through like many do it.  Also a can or bottle of contact glue is not that expensive for a test to determine its value for such a case.  I'm sure you could find other uses for the remaining cement as well.  Follow the directions so you get the best bond to start with.  Let it dry for a couple days to set up its strongest bond.

thanks Ill buy a small bottle

if you are wet molding after you sew, i don't see why it matters if the glue is degraded. the glue is only there to hold the leather until you sew a permanent bond. if the water degrades the glue, the leather is still sewn together.

On 4/3/2021 at 10:44 AM, Bert03241 said:

There in lies the problem. I didn't want to buy any water based glue until I know it would satisfactory replace  what I'm using now. Don't want to buy something then throw it out.:no:

you can always use it on stuff you dont wet mold.

6 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

you can always use it on stuff you dont wet mold.

:thumbsup::banana::cheers: