BDAZ

Need to laser print on the flesh side??

I have a large project where the customer wants to print some stuff on the flesh side of a  custom stamped coaster. Clearly stamping the back won't work as it will probably print through, a branding iron with custom stamp costs as much as some of the cheaper lasers. A rubber stamp would look crappy and silk screening would also look crappy.

I'm thinking this would do the job. 

https://www.amazon.com/Engraving-Machine-Desktop-Printer-Engraver/dp/B07Q8V4XV8/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=laser+engraver&qid=1617410988&sr=8-7

And suggestions or recommendations.  I have lost work because the customer wanted an inscription so this may find occasional use later. I will probably end up making +- 1000 of these. Will the laser hold up and what is a typical print time for a 2 x 1 print?

Thanks!

Bob

49 minutes ago, BDAZ said:

And suggestions or recommendations. 

That looks pretty flimsy to me. Have you thought of farming the laser engraving out, like to a local makerspace?

Not enough margin to make it feasible, and it's a 1" x 2" text that just has to be legible, so not looking for the Mona Lisa. Just a quick and dirty imprint. All the hard work is on the grain side, custom stamp, etc. Used to worki in the wine industry in Santa Cruz and had many happy weekends in the Santa Rosa area checking out the competition. 

Engraver arriving tomorrow...

Bob

Edited by BDAZ

stohlman has at least one book on stamping the rough side. Check the free books on tandy e library.

Edited by chuck123wapati

The problem is that I am stamping the grain side and customer doesn't want anything else on the grain. I doubt that I can stamp the flesh side and not have a print through. I am stamping some samples now. I'll test it.

Thanks!

Bob

2 hours ago, BDAZ said:

The problem is that I am stamping the grain side and customer doesn't want anything else on the grain. I doubt that I can stamp the flesh side and not have a print through. I am stamping some samples now. I'll test it.

Thanks!

Bob

yea you may try to stamp th rough side first while putting another piece of leather under it flesh to flesh

Not following, but I just tested stamping the flesh side and it will bleed through on the 5-6 oz leather the customer wants to use. 

I think the only option is the laser.

Bob

15 hours ago, BDAZ said:

Not following, but I just tested stamping the flesh side and it will bleed through on the 5-6 oz leather the customer wants to use. 

Bob

This suggests that you're hot stamping. It also suggests that the flesh side is fairly smooth. Have you considered foiling? Comes in gold silver blue pink etc etc. The point being the temperatures used for foiling are much lower and the contact is very brief compared to hot stamping

I use one of these lasers to engrave my makers mark, that being said I don’t know how many you will be able to do, also for my makers mark it takes about 30 min.

E8B668B3-F7AB-4DA5-BF4C-23640623183C.jpeg

If using a low power, 3000Mw to 6000Mw Diode Laser it would be very slow and likely similar to Ray's situation. My 60W CO2 laser would probably take a few minutes

Ferg

These are the first few prints off the new laser. I still need to fine tune the power which is now at 25%. The Made in AZ took 4 minutes, and it's the size the customer wants. The Celtic rondel is around 3" in diameter and took around 30 minutes on the grain side. It was just a test but I'd knock off a few percent on the power setting.

It was truly plug and play (Once you figure out how to convert the software from Chinese)  and has absolutely solved the problem for +- $150.

My workshop now smells like a dog crematorium, but the beauty of this engraver is that you can download the print to the unit, then disconnect from the PC and print anywhere there's an outlet. You could even place it in the middle of a hide. I intend to do my production work outside, and who knows, may keep the coyotes away (or attract them?!).

I may even incorporate the laser for adding a "custom made for Fred Jones" which I have had requests for in the past. Average print times around 5 minutes for text.

Bob  

HMIA-Map.thumb.jpg.d55ac5987de6674fc5e0a153e9172934.jpgLaser-Celtic-Test-small.thumb.jpg.352a32731adabd5c5c0f0b027a39832c.jpg

I decided to send the laser printer (attached) back to Amazon. I was not comfortable with the build quality as the scope of my project has increased and may require many hundreds of prints.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a plotter style engraver with larger than a 3x3" print area and at least 3W, preferably 5W. Would the extra 2W make a noticeable difference for engraving leather? I have been looking at this one as an option: It would be great to do multiple prints at the same time and have the print downloaded or on a thumb drive so I wouldn't have to be connected to the computer and could run this outside.

https://www.amazon.com/Desktop-Engraver-Upgraded-41x40cm-Engraving/dp/B08R9Q7HHY/ref=pd_di_sccai_5?pd_rd_w=8ydSS&pf_rd_p=c9443270-b914-4430-a90b-72e3e7e784e0&pf_rd_r=C433XH5GD378WR3N5GE2&pd_rd_r=1764e376-a52a-4f45-8d23-84fc707d003a&pd_rd_wg=U1EpQ&pd_rd_i=B08R9Q7HHY&psc=1

Thanks!

Bob

laser.jpg

Edited by BDAZ

On 4/3/2021 at 3:18 PM, BDAZ said:

Bob

I have one of the lasers pictured and it works just fine.  I haven't used it 1000 times yet though.

18 hours ago, sbrownn said:

I have one of the lasers pictured and it works just fine.  I haven't used it 1000 times yet though.

I was quite happy with it for the original scope of the project, but as a former boss said (paraphrased) , only cheapskates can afford to buy things twice.

A bigger order means a bigger budget and a better laser engraver

Edited by BDAZ

have you considered a 40 watt co2 like a K40 , I mean if your looking at over 300 for a diode for a couple more bucks you get a faster larger co2 and you can do a lot more with it

If you’re going to make large batches, you’re better off with a laser system that can crank out multiple units per session. An enclosed system that will vent out the fumes would be ideal. K40, as mentioned above, would be the entry level but you may also need to make various  adjustments and/or upgrades to get it to work consistently. 

I'd be cautious about the fumes from residuals in the tanning. Also, use a top split so you have a smooth surface. To deal with the former, run the exhaust through a bubbler.

I've been cutting and engraving veg tan leather for years and my exhaust is not the best. really no problems with the fumes , you might not like the smell, doesn't bother me. You do not want to cut or engrave chrome tan as those fumes will bother you.:nono:

Thanks! I sent back the little unit, which I doubt would have got me through the project and purchased an NEJE 20Watt 160mm x 160mm unit. Both much more robust and I can do 4 coasters at a time. Only running 5ms burn time and @ 10%. I also invested in a small exhaust fan with activated carbon filter which seems to reduce to smoke and odor in the workshop. Had planned to do the production outside but the weather is supposed to hit 114 this week...

Great for wet forming engraving..not so much!

Bob

1 hour ago, BDAZ said:

I also invested in a small exhaust fan with activated carbon filter which seems to reduce to smoke and odor in the workshop.

I tried several different filtration systems before I found this fume extractor. Now there is no smoke or odor at all. Not cheap, but the healthiest option I could find.

61hR9igjJUL._SL1201_.jpg

41BNHwgF+HL.jpg

I have completed the laser engraving of the backs and my workshop no longer smells like dead dogs.  The new engraver held up well and was not even breaking a sweat and will hopefully have many more to do for phase two of the project.

The small, activated charcoal fan filter did significantly reduce the smoke and odor.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HYZYZZX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bonus I can use it for my RC Battery Business.

The BOFA would be serious overkill!

Thanks,

Bob