Hi,

Leathercraft is a new hobby for me, so I'm acquiring tools as I go. My first set of leather stamps just came in, and I'm itching to use them. 

The project I have on the bench right now is a checkbook cover made from a 5 oz veg tan. It is coming together nicely, but a border stamp would look great on it. I've already dyed the leather. (Fiebing's pro dye if that matters.) Am I too far along in the process to add that stamping? I dont want to ruin what I've already done, but I have the new tool itch  

Thanks

You can actually stamp it after dying, as long as you haven't added any other chemical (like Resolene, for example, or other protective finishes.)
What you should do first, however, is do a test run on a scrap piece of leather from the same hide: dye it, and then try casing it and stamping it.
Then take another piece, stamp it and then dye it. If you're okay with the first round, then you're good to go. If you really prefer the second round, then you know what to do next time!
Usually the stamping goes first because it affects the leather surface, and dye will react differently to those changes. 

You might have to die it again afterwards, mind. I've used a stitch channeller on dyed tan, and the dye was only surface. It was actually quite a nice effect, in prectice.

Thanks for the replies. Given that I really like how the dye job came out, it sounds like I can do it, but I probably shouldn't do it. I guess I'll have to scratch the new tool itch by practicing with some scrap X-D

My $.02 is stamp first then dye. Also, if you can tell us how to stop the tool itch....Please help us!

I have missed adding my makers stamp until after the finish was applied.  I dampened from the back watched for a little change of colour, and stamped it.  Worked fine.