HandyDave

More ammo loop questions

I make my ammo loops on belts and slides by using 2 slot method with bullet between the 2 slots with leather woven threw. Ive never had any trouble with this way. I dont care for the sewed on loops myself but have done a couple sewed if customer requested. The problem is i did a sample piece for some padded rifle sling cartridge slides using the woven threw single hole method and it works good until i bend the piece like it would be over your shoulder and bullets fall right out. What did i do wrong in this type of ammo loop? I know ammo loops have been covered a bunch on this forum but in my search i couldnt find this specific problem. Flat the bullets are nice and snug in loops. Bend it like it would be around a waist and bullets still fit good. But bend the strap a little more like it would be on your shoulder and loops lose all tension on bullets. Ill try to get a pic of my test piece so you guys can see and maybe be able help me.

Without seeing what is going on, my guess is that the loops are just a bit loose and it is friction with the strap keeping the rounds in place. Once flexed, the contact with the strap is mostly gone, allowing them to  fall. I've always been a fan of two loops for rifle cartridges. One sized for the body and one sized for the neck.

It's in circumference. Have the bullets on the outside and the retaining strap will grip like hell. On the inside, the curve releases its grip. Using a running strap eases it a biy, but essentially, you just discovered why the strap's only secured at the end!

Ok here is couple pics of the test piece i did doing the ammo loops wovin up and back threw same hole. This was first time i tryed this method and as i said in initial post the 38/357 casing hold just fine when strap piece is flat or slightly curved. But when bent as in pic casings fall freely out of loops. I like the simplicity of this method just need figure out what i did wrong.

20210408_101500.jpg

Heres the pic of strap bent where the casings will fall out freely.

imageedit_2_7675992276.jpg

This is my "go to" manner of making ammo loops.

Have no clue how many I've done.

NEVER had this problem.

Off the top of my head . . . something has to be happening allowing more leather to get around the bullet . . . loosening up the grip.

I have always tried to curtail that possibility by making my loop leather wider by at least 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch.  It makes pulling the straps pretty tough at times . . . especially since both pieces are in the same hole . . . and I do not rivet the loops either.  I make all my belts double layer . . . so you never see the inside of the loop area . . . and that is all contact cemented into one piece anyway.

I get my loop leather "wet" not slippy/sloppy . . . but wet . . . pull it tight around each round . . . then let it get back to casing color before I remove the round and let it completely dry.

Again . . . never have had your problem.

Let us know what you figure out . . . my interest is peaked in this.

May God bless,

Dwight

I just laid this out in a drafting program.  It looks like the rivets you have between each cartridge loop actually lever material back up through the slot and loosen the fit.  The normal, non-riveted designs, like in Packing Iron do not have this feature or problem.  Your loop leather looks thicker in proportion than the PI illustrations.  Dwight, any thoughts on this analysis?  Piqued, peaked, peeked? 

God bless

14 minutes ago, MikeRock said:

I just laid this out in a drafting program.  It looks like the rivets you have between each cartridge loop actually lever material back up through the slot and loosen the fit.  The normal, non-riveted designs, like in Packing Iron do not have this feature or problem.  Your loop leather looks thicker in proportion than the PI illustrations.  Dwight, any thoughts on this analysis?  Piqued, peaked, peeked? 

God bless

Looks spot on to me . . . the rivets combined with the holes being big enough to allow leather to move in and out of them . . .  combined to make just enough extra leather come into play . . . bullets fall out.

BUT . . . and I didn't mention it before . . . rifle bullets are some heavy animals . . . need a pretty good piece of leather holding them . . . beyond that little loop that holds handgun ammo.

I don't do like tsunkasapa and make two loops . . . but I'm sure it holds them well.  AND . . . if you look at say M-60 machine gun ammo . . . the metal holders for them are the full length of the wide part of the ammo . . . not a small loop by any stretch.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight,

Thank you.   I like a taller loop too.  I was thinking the leather of this and many other cartridge loops on these belts is too thick...  drop back a few ounces and it would be both more flexible and easier to work with both in the making and in use.   I never saw a two loop per rifle cartridge belt except in a few collections and museums.  The very old belts I have had over the years were 'really' thin in the loop department and varied in width all over, from almost covering a .45 Colt to as narrow as half an  inch.  Lost several old, nice ones in the Rapid City flood.....  :(   Wish I had them now..  they were fifty bucks to almost free back then.

God bless

Thanks alot for the input guys. When i said i use 2 loops allways with no problems i meant 1 loop but woven threw 2 holes instead of up and back threw same hole. This was my first test at using this method and it worked so good until i bent the strap and casings fell out. The loop leather is 5/6 oz veg tan and strip is 5/8" wide for 38 speacial rounds. I cut the slots 1/2" long using 1/4" hole punch on ends and sharp chisel to finish.