I made this radio strap.  Stamped it, vinegarooned, oiled it, painted the letters with a few coats of Angelus paint then put on two coats of resolene.  After working a shift with the strap being warn between gear and admittedly getting some decent rubbing on the lettering, the paint is starting to peel off.  My last radio strap that I made had a fair amount of heavy use and I never had the paint peel.

I think I waited a little over a day between oiling and painting the letters.  I am guessing this wasn’t long enough and the paint didnt penetrate the leather.  How long do you usually wait between oiling and painting or finishing? 

Any suggestions on salvaging this or is a scrap and do over with it already begin finished with resolene?

97207683-3378-4A27-8976-810CA808AB50.jpeg

it is quite normal the paint does not adhere on an oiled surface whatever it is

Sounds like maybe I should change my order of operations to paint before oiling.  

Will resolene stick to oiled leather?  Obviously I can’t oil after the resolene

You may be able to peel all the paint off, then clean it with deglazer which will remove all the finishes and strip some of the oil out.  Then, use several coats of thinned leather paint (Angelus works well,  Alpha 6 Corporation makes a paint that seems to work really well (Maker's leather sells it - https://makersleathersupply.com/collections/alpha-6-leather-paint).  After you have painted, and it has dried, then you can consider oiling again if needed, and putting a finishing coat on the whole piece for protection.

If you are considering scrapping it, this process may work and save you from doing it all over again.  If it doesn't work well for you, back to plan B.

YinTx

On 4/4/2021 at 12:46 PM, YinTx said:

You may be able to peel all the paint off, then clean it with deglazer which will remove all the finishes and strip some of the oil out.  Then, use several coats of thinned leather paint (Angelus works well,  Alpha 6 Corporation makes a paint that seems to work really well (Maker's leather sells it - https://makersleathersupply.com/collections/alpha-6-leather-paint).  After you have painted, and it has dried, then you can consider oiling again if needed, and putting a finishing coat on the whole piece for protection.

If you are considering scrapping it, this process may work and save you from doing it all over again.  If it doesn't work well for you, back to plan B.

YinTx

Thanks for the suggestions.  I’m interested in the alpha 6 paint.  Do you have any more info on the paint?  How does it compare to Angelus?

17 minutes ago, ffjdh said:

Thanks for the suggestions.  I’m interested in the alpha 6 paint.  Do you have any more info on the paint?  How does it compare to Angelus?

Check out Don Gonzales Youtube video, I think he does some reviews of it.

YinTx

Another option would be to stamp the letter then take a backgrounder and set the letter below the surface then paint and finish. if its riding proud and rubbing on other gear its gonna wear. It looks nicer raised but in this case maybe function first.

57 minutes ago, cardinal leather said:

Another option would be to stamp the letter then take a backgrounder and set the letter below the surface then paint and finish. if its riding proud and rubbing on other gear its gonna wear. It looks nicer raised but in this case maybe function first.

Good suggestion.  I might give that a shot if things don’t go well.

Here's some UK stuff that I've not seen before. Claims are great and cheap enough. Anyone tried it?

6 minutes ago, toxo said:

Here's some UK stuff that I've not seen before. Claims are great and cheap enough. Anyone tried it?

?????

I don't have any of their paint but I do have some of their dye and its very much excellent