baybead15

Leather desk pad

Hello everyone,

I’m somewhat new to to leather and have not figured out what to use when and when not to use what, whether it be different types of leather or finishes.  I would like to make a 28”x20 desk pad for paperwork in my business and just had a few questions.  
What leather would be best between veg tan and oil tan?

-What is the best way to get the leather to lay flat on the desk especially on the corners?

-What would be the best top coat? Does oil tan need to be top coated? The leather will be stained if veg tan is used.  The pad will have important documents on periodically so clean no rub off is necessary.

-Do they make a metal decorative corner piece that would go a couple inches on each side of the corner?

- Will writing on paper transfer onto leather after finish is applied?

Thank you for any and all help

Personally I would put a glass or acrylic  piece to cover and protect the Leather. If veg tan seal it with a leather sealer like Sheen, Resolene , or mop and glow. Not sure about oil maybe nothing. just cover it with clear glass or acrylic .

Edited by Bert03241

-Leather will generally lay flatter as time goes on, but if you want to speed up the process spray it with some water (just enough to dampen) and maybe encourage it with something large and flat on top. Another method would be to roll it up grain side out for a day or two and then unroll it, this should help convince it to be flat.

-Definitely use a top coat of some sort. Resolene is a pretty good all-around sealant and should prevent any dye rub-off.

-Check out the paper section at your local crafting store (Joanne's and the like), they usually carry a line of "vintage" deco stuff that may be suitable. The classic desk pad would have a diagonal corner piece of an accent leather, I always thought that looked good, and it would be a good spot for some tooling.

-The finish should protect the leather from any ink transfer, but be wary of extensive Sharpie use.

Do you have an opinion on thickness? I have an 8-10 oz veg cut to size currently. The corner leather piece is the way I was planning on going, I was just thinking if I could find some big corner pieces similar to those that go on bags it would weigh it down to help encourage the pad to lay flat. But maybe the extra leather is enough in itself?

I went off on a tangent and searched for 'antique leather top desk'.  There are some dandies out there and some are reasonably priced.  One, made in 1910 has a nice writing surface, of leather.  There is a small hole that reveals the leather only being in the 3-4oz range.  Another reveals about the same.  These two were permanent leather tops, not a layon unit, like a desktop calendar.  I thought surely they'd be much thicker.   https://www.etsy.com/listing/571560844/large-antique-english-mahogany-leather?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_all&utm_custom1=_k_b65f9c2664e018e312d3fc4adc841cd1_k_&utm_content=bing_319339186_1310617986645934_81913644654434_pla-4585513245482005:pla-4585513245482005_c__571560844&utm_custom2=319339186&msclkid=b65f9c2664e018e312d3fc4adc841cd1

Go search and good luck.

God bless

Edited by MikeRock

I've seen desks and the leather is wrapped around a substrate and then laid into a recess making it flush with the top.  You're just looking for a mat.  Pre computer we used to use them all the time.  We called them leather desk blotters.  Google and you may be amazed.

I do many if theses. I use a cardboard insert

A0FF4753-EC95-4CF9-B7D0-550B506B0148.jpeg