journeymanjohn

Adhesive recommendation... Pig skin to Chrome

Hello all....

I'm not a leather worker. I'm just trying to adhere pig skin inlays that I had cut to fit a chrome dash on my old Harley.

I had two sets made, and am down to one, as the first has done a poor job of "staying stuck".

I want a bit of adjustment time, to get the holes for the dash mounting screws lined up right and such, which is a main reason I have not used a contact cement or double sided tape. From all I have read, they are a "stuck once it touches" kind of affair. I just don't have that kind of eye/hand coordination. 

I used a loc-tite flexible glue that stated it was good for leather and metal. Applied to both sides after cleaning the chrome dash. Let set for just a bit then lightly clamped with c-clamps and the metal templates, originally used to cut the pig skin inlays out, to keep everything touching while the glue set up. Was probably a week before I finished some maintenance, service, and repairs, and remounted the dash before giving the sled a wash before firing her up.

As I washed, the inlays slowly began loosing adherence to the chrome and came up in a number of places.

So,.... what should I use as I make another attempt with my last set of inlays?

Must adhere pigskin to chrome.

Must offer 10-20 minutes working time (from start of application to leather/dash to finish getting positioned).

Must hold up to temp changes and the occasional washing. It will likely see a drop of fuel on the dash occasionally, as it surrounds the fuel filler on the tank.

Thank you all, in advance.

4 hours ago, journeymanjohn said:

Hello all....

I'm not a leather worker. I'm just trying to adhere pig skin inlays that I had cut to fit a chrome dash on my old Harley.

I had two sets made, and am down to one, as the first has done a poor job of "staying stuck".

I want a bit of adjustment time, to get the holes for the dash mounting screws lined up right and such, which is a main reason I have not used a contact cement or double sided tape. From all I have read, they are a "stuck once it touches" kind of affair. I just don't have that kind of eye/hand coordination. 

I used a loc-tite flexible glue that stated it was good for leather and metal. Applied to both sides after cleaning the chrome dash. Let set for just a bit then lightly clamped with c-clamps and the metal templates, originally used to cut the pig skin inlays out, to keep everything touching while the glue set up. Was probably a week before I finished some maintenance, service, and repairs, and remounted the dash before giving the sled a wash before firing her up.

As I washed, the inlays slowly began loosing adherence to the chrome and came up in a number of places.

So,.... what should I use as I make another attempt with my last set of inlays?

Must adhere pigskin to chrome.

Must offer 10-20 minutes working time (from start of application to leather/dash to finish getting positioned).

Must hold up to temp changes and the occasional washing. It will likely see a drop of fuel on the dash occasionally, as it surrounds the fuel filler on the tank.

Thank you all, in advance.

You're making problems where there are none. Use contact cement especially around the edges. Use whatever to align, bolts/cocktail sticks through holes. if really finicky use some pieces of slippery stuff between the glued parts that you can pull out as and when. The fuel/water protection is down to what you put on afterrward. Good luck and don't forget to show us pictures.

3 hours ago, toxo said:

You're making problems where there are none. Use contact cement especially around the edges. Use whatever to align, bolts/cocktail sticks through holes. if really finicky use some pieces of slippery stuff between the glued parts that you can pull out as and when. The fuel/water protection is down to what you put on afterrward. Good luck and don't forget to show us pictures.

Thanks, but sorry, this is not an acceptable answer. Contact cement does not allow the needed working time, and using 'whatever' to align the holes des not work either.

I appreciate the input, but it just won't work for me.

the glue is not going to make a durable  bond. you can use wood glue and then stitch the two pieces together. that will give you the working time and hold the pieces while you mechanically adhere them with the thread. 

In my experience with metal, especially smooth items like chrome, the chrome needs to be sanded so the glue can adhere.  I'm guessing the issue isn't with the glue sticking to the leather, rather, it's not sticking to the chrome.   Before messing up your chrome, I would try smearing some silicone caulk on the leather and smoosh it down.  Try it on a scrap piece of leather first.  Shouldn't damage the chrome.

How bout some Indian Head gasket shellac or RTV gasket maker? Messy - have to use sparingly.

12 hours ago, mike02130 said:

In my experience with metal, especially smooth items like chrome, the chrome needs to be sanded so the glue can adhere.  I'm guessing the issue isn't with the glue sticking to the leather, rather, it's not sticking to the chrome.   Before messing up your chrome, I would try smearing some silicone caulk on the leather and smoosh it down.  Try it on a scrap piece of leather first.  Shouldn't damage the chrome.

You are absolutely correct about the adhesive not sticking to the Chrome, but sticking to the leather instead. Most recommend roughing the chrome, just a bit. Not necessarily scouring it off, but maybe using some ajax or comet and maybe some steel wool or sand paper. I'm cool with that to a point. I just need to make sure that I don't end up with exposed 'jacked up' chrome and it actually stays covered with the leather laminate inlay.

I've actually been looking at a 3m 08090 Super Yellow adhesive spray. It seems to get good reviews for exterior automotive trim (was looking at caulking type automotive/marine grade trim adhesives when I ran across it), so should take the rain and sun. A few reviewers / questions (Amazon) discussed it's use on leather with positive results. Specifically discussed being able to lift and reposition the leather before it dries.  There was conflicting information on the drying time though. I read 1 minute at one point (not enough time for me), and 20+ at another. I need to research it a bit more.

Has anyone here any experience with that stuff?

2 hours ago, 327fed said:

How bout some Indian Head gasket shellac or RTV gasket maker? Messy - have to use sparingly.

I'm pretty sure the RTV is a no go. I've never heard of the shellac you mentioned, but will definitely research it.

Nowadays it’s called Permatex Gasket Shellac. Dark brown, never comes off. It used to be in a glass bottle. I slammed it and broke it in the door of a 72 GMC. Never wore off the running board. It has a Chief’s head on the bottle. If you want it off you have to scrape it off or use a steel brush on an angle grinder.

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-20539-Indian-Shellac-Compound/dp/B0008KLOG6

Edited by 327fed
Add link

Not sure exactly what it looks like so just a few thoughts from 40 years of laminating countertops and such. If you are working on leather and metal could you use some earth magnets to align the leather with the holes that you are concerned about, then peel it back to the first hole and glue around the hole let it set and move on to the next hole, if you can get a couple of holes glued using the mags to hold in place u should be able to get the rest glued. Tandy and others sell some small red plastic glue paddles that can get into tight spots to apply glue. in the danger areas u could also use some wax paper to prevent sticking until you are ready to pull it. just don't paint yourself into a corner or ur done. I like the small silver earth mags that are about 1/4 thick and 1/4-3/8 across just be aware thet they hold goos and should be small enough to work on a curved surface. Practice a little prior to gluing, you can do it. good luck.